German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAY YES TRAINING REMINDERS

Just found this great site that gives great reminders about why my training sessions break down, and how I can do better.

Anyone else use these methods, I particularly like #1

Quote:1. Work=play=work. All play is fun and so all work should be as well. If your dog makes a decision during play (example he grabs his toy without being invited to do so) you are reinforcing his right to make decisions during working with you as well
Cause though I KNOW that's my goal and strive to it (though I forget when I'm too focused on training itself sometimes
) I see other trainers frequently with the 'my dog MUST do it just cause I said to do it' and the outcome of that is usually fairly obvious in watching the dog and their attitude for training (marked lack of enthusiasm......)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee .....I see other trainers frequently with the 'my dog MUST do it just cause I said to do it' and the outcome of that is usually fairly obvious in watching the dog and their attitude for training (marked lack of enthusiasm......)

I have seen this A LOT too.

Not only does it affect the attitude, but I also want to teach my dogs to be thinkers and decision makers, and they have to be given the opportunity to make decisions to do that. Sometimes they make the wrong decision, but that can be handled in a very low key way.

Great reminders, thanks for the link!

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Excellent site. Thank you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Great link! Thank you!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing this excellent link - I think I'm going to print it off and frame it for a daily reminder of what kind of handler I strive to become

1 - 5 of 5 Posts