German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way & any tips to recall. I mean to get your dog when off leash to STOP going after whatever & come right back to you ! I feel, yes they will do good while on lead, but not listen well knowing their off lead !

Also, fighting a in a big hurry strong male on leash walking. I have tried a gentle leader & hate it. Now have the 3.0 pronge, but not such luck with it !

Not sure if I need to bump down in pronge size (2.0 or 2.5), go to choaker (don't really want to use), e-collar, etc !!

Any suggestions ?

~Thanks much~

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the best results with an e-collar (tap on the shoulder) in getting a good off leash recall. This, of course, after she KNEW what it was that I was asking her to do; and after good results with long line recall training. Practice, practice, practice & consistency, consistency and consistency are the key words to a successful recall. Does he have a good long line recall yet? If not, go back to that. What my trainer did for us was combine the long line and e-collar recall training. I still had the control to reel her in if she didn't respond. Then eliminate the long line after success with the combo.

I've never used a GL, because I don't like the way it works. But, I have used a medium size prong with good results. Both of my dogs had their prong phase...it is a self corrector, and they soon learned that to keep from getting a "squeeze", they needed to keep pressure off the lead.

Both the e-collar and the prong are temporary pieces of equipment IMO; tools to reach your ultimate goal of recall and polite loose leash walking.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for your info !

Have been working on this, but our new rescue gets SO keyed up at anything that moves & goes crazy ! He does ok on lead, but if he sees another dog or something move............the whining, pulling & all goes on ! I say leave it with a pull at the collar for a correction ! Works so, so !

If I use the e-collar..............best place to get info since no trainers in this area ? I have 1 now (using from a friend) I have used with results chasing bikes !

I only nick & say Leave It when they go to get, but have heard to nick 3 times or use on the continue mode, stumped on this ! I just do a nick. I haven't used for obed & only for bad habits.

Like I said, our one male will sit & watch the bikes or run away from bikes now..............no chasing !

I just need to keep working at it, but would be great to yell while off lead, leave it, here & they come right back to your side !

They sense the off lead & don't preform like they should & wondered what to do in this case.........

Thanks again.........

·
Registered
340 Posts
Savvy little buggers aren't they. They completely know that you aren't in control when they are off leash..so they can take advantage. I would recommend finding a good trainer who can show you how best to use the e-collar...even if it might be a bit of a drive...it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Have you TRAINED the recall off leash yet? In a quiet area with no distrctions??

Dogs do not generalize very well. If you only train your dog to come while you are in the house and the dog is on leash the dog is not going to understand that the same command means the same thing outside and off leash.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: Training recall & leash walking .........

If your question is directed to me: Yes, on my 1.5 acre property; at the trainers property; and at the park (with distrations). In fact, we never did recall IN the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts