German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most effective way to start teaching "platz" to my 11 week old pup?

We have sit, stay and ringing the bell to go potty down pat, but its time to start something new.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Helly,

A great book that takes you through a step by step training program is "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I guess I was just hoping someone could give me a little advice.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I just held up a piece of food in front of their nose and moved it toward the ground (more of down and lure method) as I gently pushed between the shoulder blades. You can try without the pushing first. Some catch on really quick to this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like something he might respond to.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: ThreeDogsI just held up a piece of food in front of their nose and moved it toward the ground (more of down and lure method) as I gently pushed between the shoulder blades. You can try without the pushing first. Some catch on really quick to this.
I would definately try it without the pushing first. Depending on the pups personality, he/she may either become distracted by your hand on it's back and stop focusing on the food, OR he/she might "push back", or resist you pushing on his/her back.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
wow, i'm impressed that your pup does so much at 11 weeks. we got our boy at 9 weeks and all i did was crate train, house break and light recall. i didn't start training untill he was 4 months old. as far as platz. i would place a piece of food (meat or chicken) in front of his nose and lower it to the floor while gently pulling his legs from under him. when i pulled his legs from under him i would gently pull both legs a few inches at a time untill his own weight would make him slide down. don't do this on a rug. while doing this i would say "down" and then treat and praise. it seems like everything i taught him takes 3 to 5 days. what ever it is i'm teaching i do it 4 to 5 times a day for 5 minutes or less and always ending on a positive note.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You an check out http://www.clickertraining.com for lots of training commands you can print our or videos to view that will help with basic obedience.

Don't be taken back by the clicker training title - you do not have to use one, but the advise will give you great step by step information for training.

The main thing I would advise is 'do not push or pull 'on your dog to teach this. Train by letting your dog think, not reacting to your greater strength.

As someone else advised, use a tasty lure. Start with your dog in the sit position. Then, thinking of an L pattern, use the treat to lure your dog into a down. Don't name it 'down' until he gets the idea.

Hold the treat in front of the dog's nose so he can lick it. move it slowly (never getting ahead of the nose) straight down toward the floor. When the treat gets to the floor and dog is a little hunched forward still licking the lure, pull the treat slowly straight ahead of the dog along the floor.

Your dog will either lie down or stand back up. Just start again if he stands. This usaully takes 5 - 10 attempts. If either of you get frustrated, go to something else and try again later or the next day. After a few sessions your pup will probably have the down.

Once he starts to lie down as soon as you begin to use the lure, start using the command down (or word of choice.) Then begin showing the signal and rewarding with the treat afterward.

Next of course would be to fade the treat by just giving it randomly until you are no longer using it for this command.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally Posted By: doggiedadwow, i'm impressed that your pup does so much at 11 weeks. we got our boy at 9 weeks and all i did was crate train, house break and light recall. i didn't start training untill he was 4 months old. as far as platz. i would place a piece of food (meat or chicken) in front of his nose and lower it to the floor while gently pulling his legs from under him. when i pulled his legs from under him i would gently pull both legs a few inches at a time untill his own weight would make him slide down. don't do this on a rug. while doing this i would say "down" and then treat and praise. it seems like everything i taught him takes 3 to 5 days. what ever it is i'm teaching i do it 4 to 5 times a day for 5 minutes or less and always ending on a positive note.
Don't be too impressed....last night and today he decided he didn't know how to do anything at all!! Hard-headed little guy..

I'm really not pushing anything right now as far as training, just kind of want to know the best way..heck, its as much for me as for him

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
at 11 weeks old he might not be hard headed but a little confused. he sits, stays and rings a bell to go outside that's allot for a 11 week old pup, i think. check with the pros you don't want to give him to much to soon before he can handle it. i've never trained a dog before he's 4 month old. house training, crate training and some recall from day one.the fun stuff started at 4 months. it's 8:53 am, Sunday morning, it's time to go to the dog park.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My pups catch on quickly with the treat lure. Have pup sit and then move treat towards the floor as you say 'platz.' Keep it short and fun and soon he will be doing what I call the puppy pounce platz.

Anything that combines fun and food...

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Helly, it's not "hard headed" it's that their brains just don't retain so much when they are so young -- and that this "relapse" is a typical event as you train a young dog.

How I prefer to train a nice down is to let the dog volunteer it (your puppy, energizer bunny that he seems, must still lie down once in a while without prompting) name the behavior, reward and praise like a fool. Do this a few times, begin working for eye contact & you'll have a wonderful down.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Originally Posted By: zypMy pups catch on quickly with the treat lure. Have pup sit and then move treat towards the floor as you say 'platz.' Keep it short and fun and soon he will be doing what I call the puppy pounce platz.

Anything that combines fun and food...
the puppy pounce, i use to think he puppy pounce was going to hurt them. my boy is 11 months old and sometimes when he lies down he plops down and you can hear this thud. he hasn't hurt himself yet so i guess it's ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts