German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, my little guy is 10 weeks and the vet told us that now is the time to really start on training him to learn basic commands. I agree BUT his attention span is about 2 seconds and to boot, both the wife and I work full time with 2 kids in sports etc...also, is it okay to leave him outside while we are at work as long as he has fresh water and food? Will that negate all the crate training we have invested over the past few weeks?:help: Thanks for the help!:laugh:

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
okay, my little guy is 10 weeks and the vet told us that now is the time to really start on training him to learn basic commands. I agree BUT his attention span is about 2 seconds and to boot, both the wife and I work full time with 2 kids in sports etc...also, is it okay to leave him outside while we are at work as long as he has fresh water and food? Will that negate all the crate training we have invested over the past few weeks?:help: Thanks for the help!:laugh:[/QUOTE

Puppies do have a short attention span. So when training a puppy it should be short and super exciting. You should stop before the puppy gets bored. With a ten week old, you should be able to get 30-60 seconds of good fun training in. Doing this multiple times a day will help a lot. The good thing is, we all have time for 30-60 second sessions. As the puppy gets older and can mentally handle longer periods, adjust times as needed.

Are you leaving him out with free run of the backyard? That I would not recommend. If you have him in a run/pen where he can't get out or into things that are harmful, has fresh water, shade and something to keep him busy then I don't see it to be a problem (though most on here will). It should have no affect on crate training.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The key to training puppies is energy and excitement. You have to be more interesting than eeeeeeverything else in the world, which means lots of high, happy voices, clapping, jumping, patting, etc. Anything and everything you can do to get that pup's attention in a positive way. Keeping it short and sweet is another important thing to keep in mind. You want to end on a good note so if your pup's attention seems to be wandering it's time to end it before they stop listening.

If you want to leave your puppy outside you need to make sure it is in a secure area, that there is nothing harmful it can get into, and that it has access to water and shelter. If you follow those things you should be fine. : ) Congrats on your new puppy! Just remember to have fun and enjoy that little fur ball!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can handle 30-60 seconds a day right now...:) Thanks for all the great info! He has two other dogs to keep him company while we are at work too...He LOVES to play with them.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I can handle 30-60 seconds a day right now...:) Thanks for all the great info! He has two other dogs to keep him company while we are at work too...He LOVES to play with them.

Not 30-60 seconds a day. 30-60 seconds a session. There should be multiple sessions a day. Have ten minutes before you have to leave for work? Play with the puppy. Home for lunch? Play with the puppy. Getting ready for bed? Play with the puppy. All this will add up fast!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I wouldn't leave the pup outside with the other dogs until he's older. Puppies have a tendacy to get into trouble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's another worry..someone stealing my pup..however. I have all gates with a lock on them, but still would not deter a determined theif...I can get home at lunch at times and I am fixing to build a stout gate at the weakest point of the fence to help this situation. Should I get an rfid device in him so I could track him? just thinking....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not 30-60 seconds a day. 30-60 seconds a session. There should be multiple sessions a day. Have ten minutes before you have to leave for work? Play with the puppy. Home for lunch? Play with the puppy. Getting ready for bed? Play with the puppy. All this will add up fast!

aahh...got it! can do that too...

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
During that period most of your training stuff is going to be luring the puppy into basic positions you want him to learn
"sit, down, stand, shake or whatever"

I will give you a few pieces of advice. Use markers.

You ready? To start
Yes! to mark something he does that you like and are rewarding for
Good! to mark something hes doing right and you want him to continue to do
Nope! for when he messes up (this comes later when you aren't luring anymore)
Done! for when the session is over

You want to work luring into positions a long with sessions for working on engagement and focus and attention.

Make sure you vary the location of your sessions as well.

On the focus and attention engagement exercises you don't really try to get him to do commands you just use treats to get him to follow and focus on you for increasingly long amounts of time. Move around a lot and be exciting. Let him "chase" the food in your hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts