German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, not considering which training method you use, do you need to re-enforce the command from time to time? For example, if you use a treat to train for a certain behavior and you cut out the treats after the behavior is learned will your dog get lax with the command and do you have to prop up the command with a "periodic" treat? Or will the dog do it for love with no reward?

thanks
Frank

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Would you keep working for no paycheck even though you loved your job or your boss?

Randomly reward with random treats. This way, your dog will never know if this time will get him the reward and he won't be expecting the same old treats. "Sit? Okay! Maybe this time I'll get that tasty bacon bit I love. Oh, I didn't get it, maybe next time. What's that? Down? Okay! Oh wowww a strawberry! I love these! Yay! Oh, now you want me to sit? Maybe I'll get bacon? Oooooh a piece of your meat loaf? Really??? WOW! I'll make sure to obey every time because I'll never know what I'll get!"

And that idea works with food, toys, games, etc.
Mix it up! Think like a slot machine. People keep playing those constantly even though the reinforcement is very unpredictable and very rare but the payout is great.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally Posted By: DianaMWould you keep working for no paycheck even though you loved your job or your boss?

Randomly reward with random treats. This way, your dog will never know if this time will get him the reward and he won't be expecting the same old treats. "Sit? Okay! Maybe this time I'll get that tasty bacon bit I love. Oh, I didn't get it, maybe next time. What's that? Down? Okay! Oh wowww a strawberry! I love these! Yay! Oh, now you want me to sit? Maybe I'll get bacon? Oooooh a piece of your meat loaf? Really??? WOW! I'll make sure to obey every time because I'll never know what I'll get!"

And that idea works with food, toys, games, etc.
Mix it up! Think like a slot machine. People keep playing those constantly even though the reinforcement is very unpredictable and very rare but the payout is great.

Ok thanks for your comments Renji, now please put Diana on the line!!!!

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts