German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the web master for one of my training clubs. We're working on a Dog FAQ page. I want to gather a bunch of myths or misconceptions about training and turn those into questions or statements we will refute. For example, one myth is that an older dog can't learn new tricks, so a statement would be something like "My dog is older and we never did much, if any, training. I don't think I can train him now." Then there would be a short blurb about how ANY dog is trainable, bla bla bla.

If you know of any good myths, stereotypes, questions, misconceptions, etc. please share them so we can include them in our list!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
The myth that an older dog won't bond well to a new family or can't be trained is a good one.

I'm also constantly frustrated with the myth that a work/sport dog can't also be a companion/house dog, and needs to be deprived of attention in order to "build drive" so it's willing to perform well.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Using treats or toys to train is "bribing" the dog and it will never perform without a "bribe".

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
1. That dogs who bark at strangers/other dogs are necessarily being "protective."
- addendum to #1 - that socializing a dog will make it less protective
2. That dogs who don't learn something quickly are being "stubborn" (much more likely to be poor handling/communication)
3. Pretty much anything related to dominance is widely misunderstood
4. That the owner needs to use alpha rolls to let their dog know they're the boss (see #3)

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Pinch collars are an evil, "torture device". Maybe not those exact words, but many folks feel that way if they don't know the FACTS. They feel that a "choke chain" is much better.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good ones, keep 'em coming! We will also have some FAQ about breeding, rescue, etc. Even though we are a training club we get a LOT of cold calls like "where can I buy a golden?" "do you know of GSD stud dogs for my bitch?" etc.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
-Feeding your dog raw meat will make it "vicious."

-Dogs can be punished for what they did in the past because they'll remember (coming home to see a chewed shoe)

-Rubbing your dog's in its mess teaches it to not potty in the house.

-The dog doesn't "get it" because it's dumb (in reality, 99.9% of training problems are due to the handler)

-E-collars are bad

-One obedience class ought to be enough

-My dog has X title and because of that it should be bred

-Playing tug-of-war is bad.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Good ones Diana!

And Lies, if you want some rescue ones, the two biggest I deal with (beyond what's already been mentioned about bonding and training adult dogs) are:
- I can't rescue a dog because I want a purebred and
- I can't rescue a dog because I want a puppy

As we all know there are lots of purebreds and puppies available via rescue.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Thanks pupresq. Whoops, meant to say "rubbing your dog's NOSE in its mess..." brain fart!

Great suggestions by all.
Lies, you'll have a VERY long FAQ page.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
The sloped topline (of American showline GSDs) means bad hips.
Straight toplines mean good hips.
Puppies with big paws will be big (tall) dogs.
A dog can't pull in a Halti/GentleLeader/no-pull harness.
You need to let a female have at least one litter.
Positive-only methods are safe for every dog.
Eating a raw chicken bone will kill a dog.
Dogs doing Schutzhund become aggressive/a danger to the public.
Showline dogs can't have real jobs, nerves are always too weak.
Black GSDs are part lab.
Sable GSDs are part wolf.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Crates are inhumane.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I think I've got a solid list for starters. I've decided not to get into all the breed myths/stereotyps. This is an all-breed club so I'm trying to keep it general. I'm going with the myth/statement idea rather than FAQ/questions b/c it's easier to word them this way. I've broken it into Training & Behavior (b/c many overlap), and Obtaining a Dog & Breeding (also some overlap). Some of the statements are paired b/c the explanations go together (like "prongs are cruel"/"choke chains are best").

Training & Behavior

“My puppy is very young, I should wait until he matures before we start training.”

“My dog is old. I don’t think he can start training now or learn new tricks.”

“Using treats is like bribing a dog.” Or, “Using treats means a dog will never be able to perform a command without a reward.”

“Prong collars are torture devices.” And/or, “Choke chains are the easiest way to control and train a dog.”

“If I socialize my dog he will not protect me.” And likewise, “If my dog is in Schutzhund or protection training, he cannot be trusted around other people.”

“Crating is cruel.”

“It’s not a good idea to play tug games with your dog.”

“I’ve tried training but my dog just doesn’t get it, he is too stubborn and cannot be trained.”

“Our dog is just a pet, one basic obedience class is enough.”

“I should alpha roll my dog to make sure he sees me as the leader.”

“My dog is very dominant and protective.”

“Feeding dogs a raw diet makes them bloodthirsty.”

“My dog pees in my house to spite me.”

“The best way to potty train is to rub the puppy’s nose in his mess.”

“Dog should be punished for doing bad things like peeing in the house or chewing my shoes.”

Obtaining a Dog & Breeding

“A dog with ‘papers’ and ‘champion bloodline’ parents is from a reputable breeder.”

“My dog is so friendly and nice, I think I should breed her.” Or, “I got a title on my dog so I can breed him.”

“I’m getting a dog from a breeder but I don’t care about titles or certificates because we just want a nice pet.”

“I want to go to a breeder rather than a shelter or rescue because I want a puppy.”

“I want to go to a breeder because I want a purebred.”

“I want a puppy so it will bond with our family.”

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
GSD's eat small children.

ha ha ha

Someone said this to me once: "My dog is so hyper that I am thinking about letting her have a litter of pups so it will settle her down." The dog is a 1 year old lab.

Lu

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris WildThe myth that an older dog won't bond well to a new family or can't be trained is a good one.
Definitely a good one. I once had a potential puppy buyer that wanted her puppy at 5 weeks so that they could really bond. She was very concerned with bonding. I was flabergasted to say the least. I lied and said we had a state law that puppies could not leave until at least 8 weeks - and with tattooing and vaccinations - most likely will not be ready until 8.5 to 9 weeks! She did not get a puppy!

Could add the myth of - "my puppy had its {one} shot so its vaccinated...." - not necessarily so!

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
Ah - how about

I just want one litter because 1. kids can see miracle of birth, 2. my dog is great and everyone wants one just like her, 3. dogs should have a litter before being spayed

Lee

·
Registered
243 Posts
How about an FAQ on health and nutrition?

Like the "My vet can tell when a dog has hip dysplasia by the way he walks"

or

"Panno means hip dysplasia"

etc...

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
There are so many misconceptions when one thinks about it, it is scary!

How about: People who believe that shelter dogs are in given up because there is something wrong with them, and so cannot make good pets (usually, the one thing wrong with them is that they ended up in the wrong home to start with).

And a puppy that isn't disciplined for nipping will grow up to be a biter.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Another for rescue!

"I don't want to rescue an adult dog because it would have been dumped for a reason and I'd have to deal with huge problems."

I have seen GREAT dogs in shelters because the owners died or were killed or who knows what reason. I remember one rottie that was the sweetest, most awesome dog ever; he was competition obedience trained and clearly was a star companion.

Great list, Lies!

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
all dogs to respond to positive reinforcement only. Paige scoffed at that theory.
prong collars are mean-took me awhile to learn that one and now I recommend them

1 - 20 of 32 Posts