German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I adopted Sam from the pound last June. Yes, he is perfect! I started letting him off leash, he always checks in with me. One time he was getting a bit too far out and I said "Sam, here!" and used my fist to tap my chest twice. He came running up enthusiastically and sat right in front of me and stared up at me. So cool!! He does it every single time. He has definitely been trained. My question is how..

I'm curious if this is a specific method, and if so does anyone have suggestions on other commands I can try with him?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Our dog is also a rescue and somebody trained him to “drop it!” ‘Drop it’ is obeyed 100% of the time, first command, no matter what the thing is ( even a cheeseburger remnant)!! I think he had a good owner once...better trainer than me! Maybe not the one who hit / kicked him? Or maybe that was the same person...who knows? Anyway you could see if he has been taught “drop it!”

I never heard of the ‘chest’ command for come, that is interesting. He sounds like a great dog ?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Oh! I just thought of something...formal obedience training, they use “hier!” And “platz!” German words...maybe he knows the commands in German and that’s why he responds so well to “here!” ?(Which is pronounced like the German word “hier” I think)

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
Interesting. Does he look working line? Hier and then a straight front seems to be an IPO thing. Not really an AKC thing.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
AKC people don't all say here for recall, some do. I do. But a recall to front is the same in AKC, just a lot of the dogs don't have the speed and enthusiasm that you see in the IPO obedience.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
I didn't say a front wasn't an AKC thing. I said "Hier and then a straight front seems to be an IPO thing. Not really an AKC thing."

meaning that specific condition is more prevalent in IPO than AKC.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure if he's working line. I looked online and he looks more like IPO dogs than other. Though he's not super high drive, plays ball enthusiastically and LOVES going for hikes off leash, but he has just enough energy to be perfect for me. He also has an awesome "leave it."

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He does not like to down... or platz... nothing gets it so I stopped asking. I don't necessarily need it. If I really need him to lay down I just sit on the floor with him. He sits reliably, his stay could be better but his wait is good.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
He does not like to down... or platz... nothing gets it so I stopped asking. I don't necessarily need it. If I really need him to lay down I just sit on the floor with him. He sits reliably, his stay could be better but his wait is good.
Is he food motivated? You could help him down with a piece of food down and back as you say the word.

·
Registered
31,374 Posts
So your question was "how do you train this". so many ways. I did it with a restrained recall and then luring him in with the ball when he got to me. It built speed and the ball helped with accuracy. The puppy I will be doing a different way but I haven't learned it yet :)

Some people shape it, starting by sitting and showing the dog the position.

Platz/Down - is my go to safety command. Platz means drop and stay there until I come get you. It's kind of important.

Try Fuss or Heel to see if he knows them.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Many people teach different words to come and an emergency word for come could of been here or heir -which is a good one. I don’t do ipo or akc and with my gsds and know things in German. I call them over multiple times a day and they have a few different words that mean the same when outside in the backyard if they are barking at someone jogging down the street, squirrels, turkeys, deer etc, it comes in handy. Sitting in front could of been a conscious effort or just happens unconsciously.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Jax, he does know fuss. I will work on down/platz.

Thank you Jen, I think the here with the tap on the chest is my emergency call for now (he doesn't do it with a flat hand, has to be a fist). I also use come and mostly use let's go to keep the here at the ready.

I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have this dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Wow, he knows "fuss"?!

I think that means somebody put some serious time/energy into training with him (IPO? classes?) and taught him German commands...so, not an everyday type of pet dog owner. I wonder how he fell upon hard times and wound up at the shelter? He is so lucky that you picked him, because many people pass on older dogs and large dogs.

I don't know if you'll continue with his 'formal training' but like most GSDs, I bet that he will enjoy 'working' with you. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts