German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 month old male German Shepherd who got done healing from his neuter procedure a couple weeks ago. He doesn't like to listen to me really. If he has done something bad, when I go to scold him he runs away and jumps around like I'm trying to play or like it's a game. I know he knows what the commands mean and he knows when he's done something wrong, he just won't listen! I have tried making my voice deeper, looking him in the eyes, and I am trying to have a more authoritative body language. He listens to my husband better than he listens to me, but still not very good at listening. The biggest problem is that my husband is about to deploy to Afghanistan and I will be taking care of the dog by myself. It's very important that he starts to listen to me, especially since he is getting bigger every day and I'm only 100 lbs... it's getting difficult for me to control him. Please help!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I have thought of taking him to training classes, but if there's something I can do by myself I would rather do that.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Go to the training classes. They will train you on how to train your dog.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
when I go to scold him he runs away and jumps around like I'm trying to play or like it's a game.
So he sees your 'scold' as excitement and an invitation to play. You need to gain the dogs respect before it will listen to verbal corrections or respond to and obey commands. Are you reinforcing the commands and redirecting unwanted behaviors?

I know he knows what the commands mean
You cannot be too sure of that. You might be saying 'no' to him and he continues on doing what he's doing. So by you saying 'no' all the time you are teaching him to ignore 'no' the opposite of what you are trying to do.

Your husband might mean it when he says 'no'. He may go and stop the dog. The dog realizes when he says 'no' he must stop what he's doing.

You have to learn how to train dogs if you want the dog to respond to you. Read some books, get some training dvds. Learn to undestand the k9 mind. You can do it your self too but better to get some guidance from some trainers as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Go to the training classes. They will train you on how to train your dog.
I second this! Also how much are you walking him? I find walking a dog at least once a day for an hour or more and making them heel and doing commands on a walk is a great step in them seeing you as the leader. I would put him on a leash (yes even in the house) and if he is doing something you dont want him to do say grabbing something he isnt allowed say leave it and if he does not listen give his leash a little pop and physically make him do what you ask reward if he does it right away. You can also tether him to you take the leash and tie it to your waist and let him follow you around ( I would do this for a week straight) and he will learn that he is being watch and he has to follow you (dogs follow the pack leader) and this will help him gain a little respect

1 - 4 of 4 Posts