German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to this forum, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a 1yr old male GSD. He is well behaved, friendly towards other dogs and people. For instance, we take him to a large caged dog park and he will spend hours playing and running around with other dogs. Wehn we whistle, he promptly returns to us, each and every time.

This morning we took him to PetsMart's Vet clinic for couple of shots. First, whenever another dog entered the store, he started to growl and bark loudly until that other dog was out of site.

Second, when we he was ready for the shots and was getting close, he started barking, growling and tried biting as well as move around. We have not seen this behaviour before.

What can we do so that we can get him his shots?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to desensitize him to a pet store vetting atmosphere easily.
Take him out in a controlled atmosphere more often and train with him while you are there.
Have you had him in obedience classes?
If he is still reactive at vetting, fit him for a mesh muzzle that you can put on him while he's being vetted. It takes away that option to bite, and the dog usually will relax. I have a dog that can't be vetted easily and we also cover her eyes while the vet does blood draws/vaccines. I do the holding and the vet or tech does what they have to do as fast as they can safely do so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts