German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Good ideas: teaching a proper drop at the feet retrieve (always have 2 frisbees/sticks etc.)
Using clicker training/positive reinforcement, behaviour shaping--I now have a 'thinking dog'.
Training Dynamo forever, and always. I've never had a dog be so completely attentive to me, looking at me, checking in, following me around watching my every move.
Regrets: so many. Lets see, not training Zandor with positive reinforcement (he would have made a great beginner agility dog, but I thought a dog that wouldn't play tug or fetch wouldn't be any good.
Not using a prong collar on Dynamo at the first sign of trouble (with the cats).
Not using an e-collar on Dynamo for the first two years--we kept her on a long-line and trained and trained and trained, but jeepers, no matter how many wonderful the cheese bits, swiss chalet chicken strips, and weiners we doled out, plus flying frisbees, she still just LOVED chasing squirrels, deer, fast dogs. (and yes, 90% recalls are pretty well useless outside the ring)
So I guess the sum was not using enough positive reinforcement with Zandor, and not reaching for aversives in time with Dynamo. I swung from one training extreme to the other--now I do what works best.
There's more, I'm sure. Good question.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Regarding cats and dogs: I always recommend reading Leerburg's take on this: http://leerburg.com/dog-cat.htm
Keep in mind that 'correction' needs to be appropriate. For some dogs, a simple uh, uh, and a furrowed brow is enough. The main thing about his advice is that it involves keeping the cat safe and comfortable during the training process.
Your dog may 'just want to play', but my cats 'play' with mice, and the result is not pretty. So basically, don't allow your dog to be bothersome to the cat. This will allow your cat to become more relaxed around the dog, and then your cat will become less interesting to your dog. Occasionally dogs do kill cats so it's best to play it safe and err on the side of caution. Keep them separate when you can't supervise. My dogs get locked downstairs when I leave them alone, and I never leave the house without doing a 'cat-count' to make sure they are upstairs--this is years after I figure the problem solved.
If you need more help, regarding dogs and cats, please start a separate thread and then everyone can help you with their own methods and opinions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts