German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I came across some very useful acronyms that make it easy to remember some training principles. Some of them are NILF (nothing in life is free), DDD (Distance, Duration, Distraction). Are there any other useful acronyms or golden rules like this that are worth writing down?

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
:rofl:I can't think of any.Thanks to Apex1 all I can think of is silly made up ones.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks lol
Id love to hear silly made up ones Dogma13!. The silly made up ones are based on real life situations! I'm amazed at the personality of my pup, knowing more about the breed, I'm sure there are some big personalities out there!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
KISS -- Keep It Short and Simple

MLETS -- Management, Leadership, Exercise, Training, Socialization

TRAIN -- Timing, Repetition, Adjustments, Investment, Needs: Good training is good timing, and the key to communication. Repetition imprints a behavior for a command, either verbal or sign. Adjust training method to suit dog and handler. Invest the time and possibly money. Needs -- clear goals of where your dog needs to be will be more likely to provide successful training.

Yeah I made up the second two. Keeping it short and simple, was for speech writing, but it is also a good idea in dog training too.

·
Super Moderator
4,739 Posts
TRAIN -- Timing, Repetition, Adjustments, Investment, Needs: Good training is good timing, and the key to communication. Repetition imprints a behavior for a command, either verbal or sign. Adjust training method to suit dog and handler. Invest the time and possibly money. Needs -- clear goals of where your dog needs to be will be more likely to provide successful training.
I really like TRAIN. That one needs to go on a poster on the training room wall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the replies, great info!

We picked up Lexi yesterday - now I have bags under my eyes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts