German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering - how many people enroll their dogs in a training class?
I know it's tough to train a GSD, but I really would like to do it myself because I see it as a way of bonding.

Am I wrong? Would a training class be the wiser decision?

Thanks for helping me out!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Ding! I will be in for life with my dog.
Not because we keep flunking but because we're so hooked and he's improving so well that we're moved from very basic obedience to CGC classes and beginning agility classes and hopefully soon further agility classes and then rally classes. A good training classes teaches you how to teach your dog and yes, it is a FANTASTIC bonding experience. Perhaps better because you're given all the right help and techniques so that you won't get frustrated if things don't work out on your own. I can't say enough good things about training classes.

And don't worry, that still leaves PLENTY of time for training at home.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:I know it's tough to train a GSD, but I really would like to do it myself because I see it as a way of bonding.
Enrolling in a dog class to train is even BETTER than merely training at home! The bond gets stronger in a new place, with new dogs, and the time for the travel. While YOU are getting instant feedback and guidance from a trainer who's trained many many dogs. And your dog is learning the fastest and best way because their handler (you
) are learning from the best!

So YOU are still doing all the training, just making absolutely sure it's the best you can with the best trainer you can find.

The additional 'socialization' from group classes. And the dog learning to look to you and get guidance from you in these situations only help cement your leadership role in the dogs life.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Training Class's are awesome, i work as a part time trainer bring my dog to my class's and still attend class's at other place's, my dogs Love it, Ive found my dog even performs better in class's then he dose at home or in parks sometimes. It also so helpful to get great advice from great experienced trainers, to make me be the best i can be for my dog. Its so bonding my finance was having a little bit of a hard time with getting respect from Dexter our pup so he comes to class's with us, and we are all hooked, and he is getting much more respect.
There is so many different things you can do and with a GSD they can pretty much excel at any task. We are finishing up our obedience class's now, then looking into a CGC class then over the summer we plan on taking some Dock diving lessons, then from there maybe some agility or rally, shutzhund, canine freestyle, or tracking class's. GSD's Love to work and they are great at everything, so i highly recommend taking a class or two or three, you will prob love it and your dog will love it even more!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I am an advocate of training classes,,the RIGHT training classes that is.

I highly recommend if you find one your interested in,,go observe the class prior to enrolling. See if you like their methods of training, if this is something you and your dog would be happy participating in. To many dogs, to little trainers, does not make a good "class" in my opinion. Dogs that are "rude" (because of their owners lack of responsibility) is also a big no no in my book..

I just had some NOT so positive experiences with my now 6mth old Masi in puppy classes/basic classes and pulled her..To many reactive dogs, idiot owners and trainers who can't control class situations are NOT a "positive" thing in my book, and your dog will suffer for it..

Without going into detail,,I've had to desentize Masi to certain situations because of this "dog" class..

However,,I have ALWAYS gone to dog classes (this was a new place), and always had alot of fun as well as learned ALOT from them..
diane

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Didn't enroll my first GSD in any training classes, did all training on our own, and he is a very well mannered GSD, but with my little girl we have her enrolled within a training class that deals with GSD's as she is developing fear aggression for certain things, and I really don't know how to handle it, I think that wether your in a training class or doing it yourself you still will bond greatly. I know that both my GSD's are my shadows, I get up and leave the room and as soon as they hear me move they are up and right beside me. Both are trained differently so I think you will get that great bond wether your in a class or doing it on your own.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I have had dogs all my adult life. EVERY dog has been through at LEAST basic and intermediate obedience classes. In fact, when I took Kaynya to her Basic class the trainer joking said that I probably knew the course as well as HE did!

I do my 'training' at home. I use the classes as a way to proof my dogs on responding under distractions.

And I have always thought that they should have named it OWNER training classes. The instructors are teaching YOU how to teach your dog - not teaching your DOG.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh thanks!! I'll definitely be enrolling in a training class, in that case!

And thanks Barb E for the link!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Both our dogs and US are in training. and will be for life.
It's something we all enjoy very much.
We bond MORE during those classes, a good training class really teaches your dog to depend on your guidance and teaches YOU
how to properly give that strong guidance.

Our classes always include a little bit of agility, which Indigo our rescue, LOVES. The first time I saw her ESTATIC was after she
mastered the teeter totter.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote: I do my 'training' at home. I use the classes as a way to proof my dogs on responding under distractions.

And I have always thought that they should have named it OWNER training classes. The instructors are teaching YOU how to teach your dog - not teaching your DOG.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
And it gives you and your dog a chance to try different things!

Obedience, flyball, agility, tracking, herding, rally ...

What am I missing??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts