German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, again this is one that you need to adapt to the level of your dog. Some dogs have already learned to wave, so I'm adding in a more difficult behavior past that too.

The variations on this are as follows:

shake paw (great for puppies)
high five (also great for puppies)
wave goodbye (easy to go to once the "high five" is solid)
tick-tock (most difficult of these tricks)

OR, if you have a dog that is unable to sit for long (or if you want to try both, feel free!) do one or more of these laying down:

touch paw to nose
hold paw to nose
bring both paws to nose (peekaboo)

The Challenge: To choose one or more of the above "paw" behaviors and teach it so that your dog will do it consistently on cue or command.

Explanation of "tick-tock": Tick-tock is the command I use to get my dog to high step with her front feet. "tick" - the left foot comes up, and "tock" - the right foot comes up. We do it at a stand-still and not moving forward, although if you could move forward with it that would be great too! I am standing at her side (heel position) while we do this. It's a freestyle move.

For those who haven't yet taught the wave, I would recommend that first over the tick-tock. It's a simpler behavior but it also teaches the dog to raise a paw high, and that can help you when you do go to the tick-tock training (say THAT fast three times! *LOL*).

Enjoy, and check in to let us know how you're doing!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
We've been working on shake, but I want to try tick-tock.
I guess that means get a good, solid shake, then wave, then the hackney prance.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hackney prance, exactly! *LOL* Or whatever it's called in dressage, where the horses trot in place (been too long away from horses, can't remember the word now).

I've been working - slowly - on teaching Khana to move her back feet on command. I want her to kick her foot up into the air and it's a LOT harder with the back feet than it's been with the front. It's not quite clicking in her mind and I know that's my fault as I can't seem to figure out an easy way to "explain" it to her. When she's laying down, if I touch the pads of her foot softly it tickles and she'll jerk the foot up. After a couple of times, adding in "kick" verbally, she'll move the foot without my touch. But it's not consistent and every time we do it I have to start all over.

Anyhow, she DOES do the tick-tock with the front feet already - I'm just greedy and want her to move her back feet too! *L*

Melanie

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ahhh these are good behaviors for my 'foot' dog. Ris LOVES using her feet. Whenever she's unsure of what to do, she will go hit something with a paw. She already knows shake, wave (though not 100%), high five and we've just started training 'tick tock.' Right now, it's still a right paw touch to my right leg and a left paw touch to my left leg. I started training it to add to our freestyle routine.
But I haven't done much work with it lately between Training Challenges #1 & #2 as well as the training competition on the other board.

This should be fun!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Thanks for the "wave" idea! We've got shake and the high-five down! I think wave will be easy since she sometimes thinks that just sitting and putting her paw up means she should get a treat.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jamie, you'll love the high stepping when it comes together. It's really impressive to watch.

Khana had some trouble with it because she had learned to bring her paw up and cover her face - and it was a very strongly ingrained behavior. So every time the left paw comes up, she wants to touch her face and I've had a hard time getting her to understand that I just want the paw raised and then put down again. But it will come, if we keep working on it! *L*

aubie - the wave is such a fun trick! And it's easier than it seems, especially if you've already got the high five down.

Have you tried teaching any tricks to your cats? My old guy Raven (now passed on) learned to give me a high five when he was about 17 years old .. *L* .. we never quite got to the wave, but he was consistent about the high five.

Melanie and the gang

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
We worked on tick-tock tonite. She understands that my lifted leg means she needs to touch with a foot but she often forgets which foot to use. And sometimes she is a bit too enthusiastic (I'm glad it's winter and I was wearing pants). Once she seemed to be 'getting it' I started clicking right before she made contact with my leg (which was really tricky!). I don't think it'll take too long for her to get the idea.
As long as her handler remembers which leg/paw is which!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
This morning I spent some time working on 'tick tock' with Risa. I do love her enthusiasm. . . We basically worked on making sure she's using the correct foot (right to right and left to left). I videoed our session too. I do apologize for the crappy lighting (even at 8am my apartment is still dark).

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to watch the video but my dial-up means it would take an hour or more to download .. *sigh* .. glad she's taking to it, though!

Are you going to switch it so that you can be at her side, too?

Melanie and the gang

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Aww that's too bad. The video's just shy of 2 minutes long so maybe it wouldn't take quite that long?

Yes, the plan is to eventually have her in heel position doing the behavior. This morning I started off in front of her and then moved at a angle to her and then into heel position. It didn't work out so well, however, as she still wanted to touch my leg instead of just lift her paws. So I put her in a sit/wait at a distance and worked on her just raising her paws in tune with my legs without actually touching me. Once she gets that down a bit better, I'll start moving slowly into heel position again.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Ris looks so cute! I love the video, great job.
You can totally tell that Risa is as you say, a "foot dog!"

Right now, Renji is getting "rightpaw" down. We did manage to get "paw" with both forelegs depending on which of my arms pointed which I thought was pretty good- he predicted that one before I could shape that behavior. But I decided I better hammer it down to a verbal so I can do it from any position and link it to a body signal. We'll see.

I love these training challenges!

Oh, another training challenge I am working on is for Renji to grab my mini-Maglite. Yes, an icky yucky metal object! He HATES putting it in his mouth and tries to get away with muzzlepunching it and pawing it, but even if he just lightly mouths it and rubs a tooth or two on it, I click treat. This will be a long one for him to learn and he was whining and squeaking in protest all the way through... poor guy! Right now I am just holding it in my hand and just a couple inches from his muzzle and telling him to "take it." I hope I get somewhere with that!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The metal objects can be a real challenge for some dogs. I start off with retrieving a metal dish, and every time the dish is brought to me a treat goes in it. I've also used squeeze cheese directly into the dish so the dog spends more "quality" time with the treat .. *L*

After they get to where bringing the dish is natural, it's easier to transfer to other metal objects. Khana still doesn't really like my keys, though, but I think that's because they clank around in her teeth. She's a fanatic about the dishes, though .. she races to a dish and then runs back to me and skids to a stop. I never thought I'd have a chow that was so enthusiastic about retrieving!

Could you perhaps put something around your mini-Maglite to soften the feel? They have some wraps - I'm thinking Vetrap, but there is a human version of it too - that sticks to itself but wouldn't leave sticky residue on the flashlight when you eventually take it off. It's stretchy so you can put it on tightly enough and put on several wraps so his teeth have something to grip more easily. Once you are able to start rewarding him for contact with the Maglite, the entire process may be easier.

Melanie and the gang

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
We now have "leftpaw" and "rightpaw" going quite well! My hands are testament to that.
He LOVES clicker training.

Melanie, great idea about using vetwrap around the flashlight. I should give that a try. Maybe I should teach Renji to fetch his dinner bowl in exchange for me feeding him dinner?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Diana, that's what I do - Khana brings me her dish when it's dinner time. In fact, when I go out to the shop to feed I just have to say "I'm gonna need that dish over there" and then Khana and Trick compete to see who's going to get to it first (and Khana, brat that she is, sometimes takes it OUT of Trick's mouth).

I can send Khana into Tazer's kennel for the dish that is usually stuck against the very back of the kennel, so that's handy too.

The only thing I have to watch for now is that Khana runs back to me with the dish and then THROWS it at me! She's always in such a hurry .. *L*

Glad that the rightpaw/leftpaw is going so well. I'm still working on wave with Tazer. She's got one of those huge swiping waves and you want to be out of reach of the claws .. *L*

Melanie and the gang

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Ris was doing pretty well with the tick-tock paws in front of me. If I put her in a sit and stepped back, she was lifting the correct feet (for the most part--sometimes she still gets them wrong). I decided to put myself at an angle to her to see if she could do it that way which she did. Then I tried doing it standing near heel position (I was about a foot from her shoulder). She kept trying to touch my legs instead of just lifting her paws so I moved farther away, still remaining in line with her shoulder. She had no problem doing that. I think it'll require a bit more work to get her to realize I just want her to lift her feet and not touch my legs anymore. I've stopped clicking when she touches me. Most of the time she just seems to think she's picked the wrong foot and she keeps trying. But I know she'll get it. She's one smart puppy!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
We did some more work with this today. Renji still likes to hop up a bit and I'm trying to discourage it but sometimes I end up clicking for it because I see the correct paw raise, click, and at the same time the rest of him comes up as well. Ooops!

We did end with him doing paw lifts in quick succession. I think we'll get there! DF didn't know I was teaching this and thinks it's really cool.
I'm also taking a cue from Jamie and trying to attach my leg lifts as cues. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear you're still working on it! I've kind of slacked off (hanging my head in shame .. *L*). Today we were playing with a box and I was rewarding for the dogs putting their front feet on the box. Tazer kept thinking I wanted a hug (I'm being nice here .. *G*) and kept throwing her feet on ME. I think I have bruises all over my legs now. She's such a ox at times.

When I did the tick-tock with Khana, I did the high-stepping too and that was part of her cue. I also (sometimes) did a hand cue, and used my forefinger back and forth - left/right - while I said "tick-tock!". It helped Khana focus on which foot to raise. Not sure it would help others that way - she tends to be pretty visual.

Melanie et al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts