German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Does anybody have any suggestions on a good book for teaining? I have a 16 month old female and she is getting worse; barks, plays rough, jumps etc.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Harley, if you are having these problems your best bet is to find a trainer who can help you "read" this dog and figure out some quick fixes and then get you on a training program. If you don't know how to train a dog a book is limited and often frustrating. Also recognize there are a million books and approaches out there. You got to find something that works and stick with it. That is where a trainer is so worth it. Think of it as an investment in your skills and investment in a relationship that will pay off for years to come. Trainers are worth the money you pay. That being said, you could try Karen Pryers book "Don't Shoot the Dog".

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you really really really cannot find and afford training, read up on this site, do searches on things you want help with, and start following and watching youtube video's.
I would always start out with clicker training (you don't need a clicker, just your and your awesome voice), kikopup & donna hill on youtube can help you get started.
Micheal Ellis "philosophy of dog training" (if you can sit through the whole hour, but you really should) will help you understand a full range of how dogs are trained and learn.
There, now you have some homework, all free.
Signing up for dog class might be fun and easier.
Your pup sounds like she would love some training.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We did two training classes and one private lesson. Got a good start but I am having hard time figuring out how to go further. My dog figures things out in a hurry and then after few minutes of practicing she gets bored. She does chase a ball few,very few times and looks at me like you go and get it because you will just throw it away. Not a lot of choices on training classes around where I live. Thank you for the advice. I will look at the you tube videos and keep looking and training classes. Thanks for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts