German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I would like to say that this website has a great wealth of knowledge on training and would like to thank you all for that.

The question I have is that I notice a lot of the training is geared toward younger GSD's. Do these same approaches work with older dogs? The GSD I am getting is 7 and needs some training but I'm not sure that it will work if I approach him the same way as you would a puppy since he is older.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hey the good news is that there is no such thing as too old. Your approach is very much the same as with a puppy - lots of patience, positive reinforcement, and TLC. You might consider enrolling in a basic training class.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I think age plays a slight part in training, but not really alot. Its all pretty much the same as any other dog. Have to take into account your dogs temperment and attitude and any prior training he may of had before.

In some of my experience, the older dogs were actually easier to train cause they werent as crazy wild as some puppies..lol.

Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I started training one of my dogs in Schutzhund at age 6. She didn't have any formal obedience training and she thrived on the positive motivational training. She's very stubborn and needed the balance of corrections on a pinch collar, but overall I focused on positive training and am very thankful I did so.

Hope you have fun with the training
Seeing the positive changes in my older dog was priceless! It felt like a challenge, but boy was it worth it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that age doesn't play that big of a part in training. Do you think it would be worth enrolling in some obedience classes? Also, What is NILIF? Sorry, Im new around here and dont know all the terminology yet.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote:Do you think it would be worth enrolling in some obedience classes? Also, What is NILIF?
Yes get into a training class - you won't regret it.

Nothing In Life Is Free! I have no experience with this training method and can't really comment on how to do it but those that use it are usually pretty satisfied with the result. I'm sure some one on the board will explain it to you.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I would find some training classes, and my preference is using positive rewards with voice and treat.

With an older dog, you might have issues with pain (bad hips, etc.), some might move a bit slower. It all depends on the dog. Our GSD is 7 and is still quick, but my mixed breed, with hip problems at a young age, required some allowances, depending on how she felt that day.

Overall, they usually enjoy the training, and spending time with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts