German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought home our new 7 weeks old family member named Cody and i was wondering how can i get him used to stay by himself outside safely? For now i've installed a trolley leash on the side of the house and started spending time with him there but in case i need to leave the house for few hours i don't want him to cry/bark or most importantly get anxious. I 've also mounted a camera with microphone to talk to him and monitor him, would this be a good tool to train him remotely if i'm away?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
In my opinion a puppy that young should never be kept outside for more than just a few minutes by himself. Do you have a crate in the house? That's a much safer place to keep him if you need to leave him for a short time. If you're talking about leaving him outside for more than a few minutes, he should be in a kennel area with a crate or house to relax in. But at this age I would strongly advise against tethering him outside for any reason! Inside in a crate, or outside in a kennel, or with you (preferably!). In a month or 2 he'll be able to handle a little more time on his own if kenneled. But a puppy left to his own devices outside for hours is very likely to result in him developing bad behaviors you'll regret later on.

·
Registered
972 Posts
but in case i need to leave the house for few hours i don't want him to cry/bark or most importantly get anxious.
Like other posters, I would strongly advise against doing this and strongly encourage you to crate the puppy inside. In the scenario you've described, barking and/or anxiety is really low on the list of Things That Could Go Wrong. For example, the puppy could get entangled in the line and injure or strangle itself (#1 reason why I hate tie outs). The puppy also could eat something potentially dangerous (e.g., sticks, rocks, even poison) which could lead obstruction, mouth/throat puncture or internal bleeding, resulting in a trip to the ER --- if you're lucky. If a puppy/dog is going to be outside, you need to provide shelter from the elements to which puppies are uniquely susceptible (heat, rain and cold) with clean water continuously available. Puppies are notoriously good at knocking over water buckets and playing. Would you want to leave it alone for several hours, in high temps, and risk dehydration? Finally, it's not uncommon for unsupervised dogs to be stolen from their yards and used for nefarious purposes (e.g., resale, bait dogs, etc.) or because an unbalanced person simply wants that cute puppy.

Another thing to consider is that puppies want to be with you. Their desire/impulse for proximity is critical in establishing a solid relationship and beginning training. Don't let such an important opportunity pass you by.

I've found crate training and/or x-pens (inside!) to be a great tool for teaching dogs/puppies all sorts of useful things (e.g., how to behave when left alone). Most importantly, you know that the puppy is a safe as you can make it when you're not there. Lots of links here describing how to do this, so rummage around.

Aly

·
Registered
851 Posts
At his age he's missing his mom and litter mates and he'll want to be held or be very close too you. I wouldn't leave him in a yard tethered or not---unsupervised-- it's a recipe for bad things to happen. As others have said use a crate during the times when you and/or family aren't interacting with the new pup. Yes he's gonna whine/cry in the crate unless he's worn out from play BUT don't give in and let him out simply because he cries-he'll learn that's what gets him out (not a good thing)---get him on a regular routine/schedule of eating-- going outside etc. Dogs like a regular routine and IMO you can't start too early. Again IMO since you can't be with him 24/7 a crate is the way to go--but at his age don't leave him in your yard unsupervised. :smile2:

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Since you are planning on tethering this puppy outside, it leads me to believe your yard is not fenced. How will a puppy that has been in this world a mere 56 days defend itself from whatever may wander onto your property? At that age, it would be natural to run from a threat.

I would suspect some neighborhood children might be highly tempted to take this puppy home if left alone outside unsupervised.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
When I was a teen and I didn't know about crates and pups, my sis and I tethered our pup outside where we thought it was safe. When we came back from school the pup was dead. We had no idea that he would get himself into such a dangerous position. Now we have our dogs indoors, crated if still a baby, when we are not home. Even our adults stay indoors when we are not there to keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Also he is coyote bait. Coyotes have infiltrated urban areas and make a good living on cat meat.

This is not just a puppy, it is a BABY PUPPY. I second what others have said.

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
oh and the camera and monitor won't do a thing to train your dogs unless they learn that they get rewards from the strange body-less voice. We have Ring doorbells and have tried talking to our dogs outside. They quickly loose interest in anything we say to them through the speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch for all the great feedback! I'm training him to stay in that side of house just because i know in some rare occasions (I work from home but do have to attend meetings from time to time) i won't be able to bring him with me. As of today, he has not been away from me for more than few minutes at the time like when playing with the kids in the garden. I know the bonds we need to form thanks to my kids so i'm taking this very serioushly and border line too seriously if you ask my wife ;-) Now, the place i setup the trolley leash at is paved and fenced and is located right below my deck so during the day, i stay there with him to play and while he takes a nap and leave him there for few minutes at the time always with supervision (through the bathroom window) of course to get him acquainted with that space. I understand the risk mentioned and I;ve also asked my neighbor to keep him if i have to leave the house for few hours at the time. Since i go blessed to bring him home, he has been with me 24/7 and i'm watching him like a hawk! I don't feel good leaving him in a crate since one of my previous dog died at a pet hotel while being kept in a crate. They said he suffered from a heart attack due to too much anxiety being left alone in a crate so since then, no crate for any of my babies. Anyway, I agree that he is too young to be left alone and will ensure my neighbor or friend can keep in instead. Thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Completely agree with your comment and those of the other members. I will find a way to not leave him by himself no matter what, he is way too precious to us to take any risk! I usually got dogs a little older in the past but clearly understand our puppy needs better now and will act accordingly. Thank everyone for your advises!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and the camera and monitor won't do a thing to train your dogs unless they learn that they get rewards from the strange body-less voice. We have Ring doorbells and have tried talking to our dogs outside. They quickly loose interest in anything we say to them through the speakers.
Good to know, didn't try to speak to him through the camera yet but clearly understand how it wouldn't work for a dog!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I would be concerned about keeping a puppy on pavement. Running and lying on such a hard surface could be hard on his joints. If the area is fenced, why tie him up?

Could you get an exercise pen for the pup? It could be used inside or out. I wouldn't leave him unsupervised at any time, though. Our dogs are 4 and 7 years old and they are never outside alone. They go where we go.

It sounds as though your previous dog wasn't properly introduced to the crate. If you do some reading about crate training, you might have a different feeling about them. Our 7 year old loves his crate and sleeps in it every night. We never close the door so he has free access at all times. He will sometimes disappear from the downstairs and we find him napping in his crate in our bedroom upstairs. Crates don't have to be evil, and they can be a secure and safe place for the pup or adult.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I don't think a healthy dog can die from anxiety over being crated for an hour or so? I know what you mean about meetings, I work from home too and when I can't risk barking I have crates for them in my finished basement. I'll put them down there for the meeting then let them out when I am done. If you definitely do not want the crate, at least get an Xpen for outside? Tethers and trollies scare the heck out of me. Have heard too many stories...strangulation or thievery can be a very quiet and quick thing, especially with a puppy..

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'd say your dog is much more likely to die on a cable than during in a crate. Sorry to be a bit morbid here but it's the truth, especially if he is close enough to a fence or other similar objects to potentially jump over it. Many dogs have hung themselves on chains by going over objects, or get tangled up and stuck with barely any room to move.

Crate training you have them safe inside so you don't have to worry about somebody stealing or shooting them. You might say that doesn't happen in your area. I don't know where you live and how commons guns real or even bb/pellet guns are. We barely used to have any issues with animals getting hurt or stolen but lately there's been a LOT of it going around and getting more common. A lady kept her dog and it's puppies outside in a kennel while she was gone at work and two of the puppies were stolen last week.

Crate training when done right is amazing for your dog. It gives them a 'safe place' to go. It's basically like a bedroom for your dog. It also makes traveling and such easier. In the case your dog had to be boarded or go to the vet for an operation etc. if he's used to a crate he will be much less stressed and feel more comfortable than if he's never been exposed to a kennel/crate before.

As far as advice for tethering if you're set on that. Give him shelter like a dog house and water in a place where he can't get tangled up or spill the water. I'd start with short stretches outside with toys and just gradually increase it. Don't go out to get him if he's making any noise barking/howling even if it's time to bring him inside.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Animal lovers may want to "rescue" your pup when he is crying outside. In the past a neighbor dog (Vizsla) died because he strangled himself on a tie out. He probably was better off anyways as they kept him outside in the Eastern OR winters, tied up).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will look into the Xpen, thx! The floor is not cement but bricks pavement on one side and pebble on the other. I inspected the 6 feet tall wooden fence for nails and screws and beside redundant boil of water and food, he also has his own deluxe bed there as well. Not trying to contradict the valuable advises i received from this threads but just trying to do my best to acclimate him to our garden. Like mentioned before, i agree that he is too young to be left alone and just the thought of something happening to him just make me sick, so i won't take Any chances! Back to the Xpen, I assume he will be crying/whining so what will be the best way to keep him calm when he is inside that cage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
don't reward the crying, let him figure out whining won't get him any attention.
Got you, trying to do it gradually by talking to him from a distance to calm him down and spend few minutes at the time sitting next to him. Hopefully soon enough he will get used not to be with me 24/7 but for now i won't leave him alone for more than few minutes at the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts