German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
WOW, well done! Love the focus and attention. Great work with the clicker too.

And those puppy 'downs' are a hoot!!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is this your first training? How long has this pup been training??
No, it's not our first training! :)
I got her when she was 8 weeks old and started when she was about 9 weeks, but just a little. I did the "heeling" thing right from the start because I didn't have to teach her, they just do it.

Then we practised the "downs" which took us a little longer because she didn't 'jump' into the position right away.
When she got that we started with the "left" and "right" (future agility stuff ;)), sit, stay (which is really hard for her, sitting and waiting...:D) and the thing with the bowl (?).
At the moment we're practicing "down & stay" which doesn't really work yet!

·
Registered
874 Posts
wow I am really impressed.

Roxy is going to be 4 months the end of this month and we can do:

sit, down, stay, leave it , (working on rolling over) ...the heel thing..she doesn't want to do that :( that's going to be our hardest I think.
And today I started working on the bowl thing. I was using the footstool so that might be a bit high..but she will do place now just after about 15 minutes. I say place and she puts her two front feet up and stands there. I'm not sure now what to do after that. I tried moving around her and gently pushing but that just made her get down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can I ask what you use for treats? I am also using a clicker ..but like to vary the treats I use.
I don't really use treats - she gets her meals when we're doing this stuff. I only use treats when we're working on something special (e.g. not getting away with the banana skin when we take a walk - there she gets something "special" because she should learn that I have something better. Well doesn't really work yet but I hope she'll get it soon! ;)).

I say place and she puts her two front feet up and stands there. I'm not sure now what to do after that. I tried moving around her and gently pushing but that just made her get down.
Yeah, she had problems with that at first, too. In the beginning I stood there right next to her (she was close to my left leg) and just moved "anti-clockwise" with treat in my left hand (similar to the heeling). She followed the mini step and left her paws on the bowl --> click --> treat.
She got that pretty fast and after that it didn't take long until she started spinning around. I'm sure your puppy' gonna get it soon, too! :)

the heel thing..she doesn't want to do that :(
Really? Never heard that before that a puppy doesn't do it. How do you do it? And what does your puppy do?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't wanna start a new thread, so I'll just continue this one:

That's Beast today, she's about 5.5 months old now. It's been really hot here the last couple of days resp. weeks, so that was the first time we actually practiced in the garden again. :)

I didn't even realize I "clicked" that much, I was annoyed myself by the sound of it when I watched the video... So sorry for that! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts