German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is 14 weeks old. We've had her for about 6 weeks. I took to her a "dog trainer" today. She told me she works under a lady who trains dogs in Beverly Hills and was taught from the best & I actually got her number from that webpage. Anyway I show up and see all their shepherds, about 8 of them, and they all are beautiful and very responsive to her. Im a new dog owner so I figured she must know what she is doing. She puts a prong collar on my puppy and I tell her I don't know much about those things and Im not sure if its safe to use on my little one. She tells me its completely fine and tried to get my puppy to heel for her, among other things like down position. My puppy was hating every second of the prong collar. My puppy Willow even tried to bite her a few times and actually got the trainer pretty good twice. Then she told me that my puppy was vicious, extremely dominant and mean. She actually called my puppy a problem dog. I have never seen my puppy act the way she was acting while the "trainer" was working with her.

She then asked me where I got the puppy and about her parents. I told her that her dad was a AKC registered dog who they wanted to train to be a cop dog. Im guessing he didn't make the cut and was eventually rehomed and bred with a german shepherd who wasn't registered.She told me that my puppy had working lines from her dads side and weak nerve from her mom.

My puppy is very sweet towards us at home and enjoys our company. She follows us around the house everywhere. She used to nip a lot but has gotten extremely better. She's never shown aggression towards us. I feel like she is describing a different dog, not my puppy. Part of me thinks she doesn't know what the heck she is doing, because she put a prong collar on my puppy and told me she uses them on her adult dogs as well. Part of me is a little bit worried that there might be some truth to the things she said, only because she has more experience with these dogs than I do. I feel like I've just been given a terrible prognosis but how could she know all those things just by spending one hour with her.

Just had a terrible first experience.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
time to start doing some research on your own about training, etc. I would not blindly rely on a trainer(even if they were super recommended, it always comes down to who is recommending)
Im a new dog owner so I figured she must know what she is doing. She puts a prong collar on my puppy and I tell her I don't know much about those things and Im not sure if its safe to use on my little one. She tells me its completely fine and tried to get my puppy to heel for her, among other things like down position. My puppy was hating every second of the prong collar. My puppy Willow even tried to bite her a few times and actually got the trainer pretty good twice. Then she told me that my puppy was vicious, extremely dominant and mean. She actually called my puppy a problem dog. I have never seen my puppy act the way she was acting while the "trainer" was working with her
Do not allow a trainer to put a collar on your puppy that you have no knowledge on. You need to advocate for your puppies well being(mentally as well as physical). This trainer should not have put a prong on your puppy until the trainer explained to YOU why they were doing so.
Find a club that knows the breed, and get with a handler or two that can mentor you if possible.

Very responsive to her, or very submissive to her? Did you see the difference in the dogs body language? I'd rather have a dog with confidence and not submissive, but engaged with the handlers. What did you see actually?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Run, run, fast as you can and take your puppy with you!

What a %#^&* of a 'trainer.'

Any fool can coerce a dog to do their bidding, but a GSD will learn, then you positively reinforce and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

nipping is normal for a GSD puppy.

She's too young for a prong collar.

A 14 week old pup "agressive?" I don't think so!!

Your instincts are right on. Don't let this woman's assessment worry you for a second.

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts
Find a new trainer immediately.Seriously,do NOT let her near your puppy again.Willow was scared and hurt and only defended herself.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
time to start doing some research on your own about training, etc. I would not blindly rely on a trainer(even if they were super recommended, it always comes down to who is recommending)

Do not allow a trainer to put a collar on your puppy that you have no knowledge on. You need to advocate for your puppies well being(mentally as well as physical). This trainer should not have put a prong on your puppy until the trainer explained to YOU why they were doing so.
Find a club that knows the breed, and get with a handler or two that can mentor you if possible.

Very responsive to her, or very submissive to her? Did you see the difference in the dogs body language? I'd rather have a dog with confidence and not submissive, but engaged with the handlers. What did you see actually?

Since Im a new owner its hard for me to say FOR SURE but thinking back on it, I did see them being very submissive. The ears on a puppy went all the way down when they asked it to go in the down position. To me, that is a behavior that shows they are scared. And yes I won't be letting anyone use any kind of weird equipment on her again. Total puppy parent failure on my part!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Run, run, fast as you can and take your puppy with you!

What a %#^&* of a 'trainer.'

Any fool can coerce a dog to do their bidding, but a GSD will learn, then you positively reinforce and then repeat, repeat, repeat.

nipping is normal for a GSD puppy.

She's too young for a prong collar.

A 14 week old pup "agressive?" I don't think so!!

Your instincts are right on. Don't let this woman's assessment worry you for a second.
We are never going back there again. That was the worst experience of my life. I want training to be a fun positive experience, not negative and dreadful! She basically couldn't get my puppy to be submissive to her with her stupid collar so she just said all these things were wrong with her.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Find a new trainer immediately.Seriously,do NOT let her near your puppy again.Willow was scared and hurt and only defended herself.
I think that is exactly why she bit her! Poor baby, I feel horrible about it. I seriously can't believe how hard its been to find a trainer who works with working dogs specifically.

·
Super Moderator
7,358 Posts
are you limiting yourself to only Santa Barbara?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you limiting yourself to only Santa Barbara?
I've been looking for a german shepherd trainer here in Santa Barbara/Ventura/San Luis Obispo area for 6 weeks with no luck so at this point Im open to driving a little farther. Do you know anyone??

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ridiculous!!!! No need for a trainer at 14 weeks anyways, and no way is your puppy agressive at that age. Keep Away!!!!!
Yeah I figured my puppy was very young for training. I mostly just wanted to find and meet a trainer I liked so that I can stop worrying about not having someone when the time comes.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Agaribay805;7685914 Then she told me that my puppy was vicious said:
Reminds me of what my BIL said when he took care of my pup at 9-10 weeks old for an evening......2-3 complete entire hours. Yeah.....those "vicious" GSD pups.....LOL.

SuperG

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Since Im a new owner its hard for me to say FOR SURE but thinking back on it, I did see them being very submissive. The ears on a puppy went all the way down when they asked it to go in the down position. To me, that is a behavior that shows they are scared. And yes I won't be letting anyone use any kind of weird equipment on her again. Total puppy parent failure on my part!
I'm not a new owner, and not inexperienced and I had the same sort of experience when I tried to get an assessment done on my then 4 year old dog.
We all make mistakes and now you know better. Lesson learned, move on. There are some real dirtbag trainers around, and loads that are just clueless.
Next time ask if you can observe a class, if they say no keep looking. Leave your girl at home and watch how they handle the dogs and the class. If anything doesn't seem right about it ask after the class for an explanation. Talk to the students in the class, see how they like it.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
You would think she had more experience with GSD pups than that. Just work on engagement and training at home until you find a place you like and trust.

As to the collar, the prong collar is a tool and can be used properly or improperly. Obviously, using it on a puppy is 'improperly'. A prong is not bad in and of itself, though.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
There has got to be a IPO club down there that can give you some trainer suggestions. IPO/Shutzhund Club. I'm sure there has to be some good trainers in that area. Don't give up. Ask anyone you meet with a well behaved shepherd. You could contact a German Shepherd rescue organization as well and ask them for recommendations. Just some ideas.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I went to see one trainer that thought she could fix Midnites reactivity. This was after I already seen a couple different ones, I was gathering techniques. She was a frail kind of woman compared to me that thought she knew it all. So I gave her the leash. That did not go well, she had no control over him and he shredded her arm with his nails, blood everywhere. She looked at me like don't sit there and do nothing, I asked her if she was done thinking she could control him? I calmly took him back and put him in a sit without issue. Then she went on to say she could private lessons for like $150 an hour,, with no guarantees it would work because he was hard to handle and not allowed in any classes with other dogs. I thought to myself I hope she has good medical insurance:rolleyes: I took her card with no intentions of ever using her. Fast forward a month...I continued working with Midnite, found a club that knew the breed. We went to a doggie event with dogs everywhere, Midnites first true test. He didn't react to one dog, that trainer was there trying to sell her services. I asked her if she remembered him, I then told her that he just needed a good trainer and I walked away:)

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I went to see one trainer that thought she could fix Midnites reactivity. This was after I already seen a couple different ones, I was gathering techniques. She was a frail kind of woman compared to me that thought she knew it all. So I gave her the leash. That did not go well, she had no control over him and he shredded her arm with his nails, blood everywhere. She looked at me like don't sit there and do nothing, I asked her if she was done thinking she could control him? I calmly took him back and put him in a sit without issue. Then she went on to say she could private lessons for like $150 an hour,, with no guarantees it would work because he was hard to handle and not allowed in any classes with other dogs. I thought to myself I hope she has good medical insurance:rolleyes: I took her card with no intentions of ever using her. Fast forward a month...I continued working with Midnite, found a club that knew the breed. We went to a doggie event with dogs everywhere, Midnites first true test. He didn't react to one dog, that trainer was there trying to sell her services. I asked her if she remembered him, I then told her that he just needed a good trainer and I walked away:)
Great story and funny as can be...and kudos to you for taking Midnite back and showing the "trainer" the results you achieved....reminds me of the "trainer" I interviewed a couple years ago regarding a similar reactivity issue and when inquiring about the methods he uses....I received a " well.....I like to put lavender oil on their ears and it makes a huge difference....."...hmmmmm...well, maybe it does in some cases...I decided maybe it doesn't in our case....so I moved along.

SuperG

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Great story and funny as can be...and kudos to you for taking Midnite back and showing the "trainer" the results you achieved....reminds me of the "trainer" I interviewed a couple years ago regarding a similar reactivity issue and when inquiring about the methods he uses....I received a " well.....I like to put lavender oil on their ears and it makes a huge difference....."...hmmmmm...well, maybe it does in some cases...I decided maybe it doesn't in our case....so I moved along.

SuperG
I would have asked the trainer to demonstrate that lavender and just sit back and watch that disaster:)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts