German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, despite of what i've worked with my puppy i'd like to do with him some classes. There arent many trainers in here.
I just talked with one, which tells me it's a 6 week training BO but the puppy has to stay there she told me that I could go there as long as I tell her Im going to so that I can work with him.
I've heard good stuff about her, i once met her and saw her working with a dog and i liked her. But, the only thing that i dont like is the fact of him staying there, she works with lots of dog , that'd be great for him to meet more dogs but yet I'm not sure.
Should I agree to leave him? Are there any pros and cos.
What should I look before agreeing to do so ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im going to meet with her before agreeing anything btw.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If your dog is a pet and you are looking to do basic obedience, then I would recommend against send-away training. Training is as much, if not more, about teaching you (the owner/handler) to work with and train your dog as it is about your dog actually learning specific behaviors. Sending a dog off to a stranger doesn't teach YOU anything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything I should know, what should I ask her when meeting her?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I agree ^, and its also a bonding experience where your dog learns that you are the one to be listened to

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Abbyk9 that's what i've been reading in this forum. Even when she told me that he'd need to stay there she asked me If I wanted to learn and I told her yes then she told me that I could go there and work with him. Would that make a change?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im going to try to make a deal, meeting one day a week at least then so that i can work with him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@mssandslinger Indeed. I've noticed that. Im the one that teach him,etc daily and when my sister/mom work with him it's not the same.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
@Abbyk9 that's what i've been reading in this forum. Even when she told me that he'd need to stay there she asked me If I wanted to learn and I told her yes then she told me that I could go there and work with him. Would that make a change?
Not to me. I wouldn't leave my pup with a trainer, period. Then again I won't leave him with the groomer or the vet either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like the idea neither, i'll tell her if we can meet one day a week for 1 hour.If she can't then bye bye.

There's another trainer and she has seen my puppy my mom has known her for years. She runs a schutzund club but the last time she invited me I didn't like her group. They were choking the dogs supposedly 'correcting' them when making a mistake, and it wasn't just a normal correction , this guy kept chocking and chocking the dog because he wouldn't listen to him.
And is there anything important I should know before agreeing?
What Would you look in a trainer?.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:mad: Tomorrow we were suppose to meet the trainer to make a deal about meeting 1 day a week, I told my mom the reasons and why We should do it like that and she understood and agreed with me.

Today we were at the Petshop everything was okey, everybody petting my puppy, even kids etc etc. Then I was near the entrance door about to leave and I got distracted talking with one of the workers in there. And I don't know HOW but suddenly I see My puppy jumping on these kids. I said No and Put Him in a sit. I saw the mom taking the kids by their arms -scared-I guess...Who Wouldn't.. And their dad came and said "how would You keep a dog who behaves like that In here? and I don't remember what else He said..:(:( I just said Im sorry. And then He left. I usually watch him out when someone is petting him because sometimes he'll jump to people and it's scary because they don't know he's a puppy. Anyways my mom was there and the people in there kept saying things about his behavior, that it was not normal for a GSD, that he's a nervous puppy , unconfident puppy, we shouldn't accept that behavior blablabla.. My mom got the point of changing her mind and Now he wants to leave the puppy the 6 weeks BO training :mad:

EDIT: I remember that before acting like that with these kids he saw a men in a wheelchair and he got really scared. I don't know if it has anything to do with it :(

After these kids left one of the workers from the shop wanted to take the leash and walk him around the shop and he wouldn't go with him then I heard this growl and him trying to jump at him.

Days ago he didn't mind being walked by somebody else If I were there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uh Typos, My mom got to the point of changing her mind and Now She wants to leave the puppy the 6 weeks BO training :mad:*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts