German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The obedience class instructor told me she is not pure bred.
She said she is too stocky, her nose is too short, and her coloration isnt normal.
I think she doesnt really know what she's talking about.

I posted pictures when i first joined and you all said she looks 100%. I'm more prone to believe you guys.

But I thought i would post a few more pictures of her for you.
These were taken the same day as when i posted before.

Can German shepherds have white on them at all? She has a little blotch of white on her chest and under her tail.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i am not getting the pictures.....

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My GSD has a small white patch on her chest, and a black spot on her tongue. She's pure.

They are often born with white toes too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, i'm uploading them on photobucket. apparently imageshack wont work for this
please come back in a few minutes when they are working.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I copied and pasted into my browser to look at the pictures and I remember this girl. I recall we all praised her as a gorgeous Bi-color. I know I have learned a lot more about the color variations of the German Shepherds since joining this group. Heck, I had never heard of or seen a long coat until we got Clover. I also see a lot of variation in shaping of heads, ears, legs etc in all these pure breds whose pictures are posted. Wonder what he would think about sables and some of the other colorings. I still think the evaluations you received from the group are on target. There is just a LOT of mis-understandings about shepherds (they're viscious, bad with kids etc. etc.) out there and coloring variations are one of them.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
This is Geneva who I believe was the top AKC show GSD for a few years and I think she has a white spot on the chest, you can see it here.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Quote:The obedience class instructor told me she is not pure bred.
She said she is too stocky, her nose is too short, and her coloration isnt normal.
I think she doesnt really know what she's talking about.
I would inform the obedience class instructor that I am paying her to teach me how to train my dog, not to critique her conformation, especially if her opinion is more opinion than fact.

·
Registered
232 Posts
chris, you always have the best come-backs!! i wish i was a quick thinker like that. i always seem to think of the witty remark when i get home.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys.

yeah. she's full of it. (the trainer i mean)

i'll just have to bring her back to visit when she's all grown up.

i totally would trust all your opinions first. but thought i would just add some more pics for your thoughts anyways. hehe

Geneva is ... drroooooool. beautiful

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Quote:She said she is too stocky, her nose is too short, and her coloration isnt normal.
She's stocky like an east german
Her nose is short like an east german
Her coloration is called Bi-Colored.

I'd put money on it that she's a pure bred east german shepherd. A very pretty one too.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Your dog is a purebred, her coloration is called "bi-color".

The trainer is apparently quite ignorant of GSD colors, though admitedly she's not the only one. Many, many people think GSDs only come in the stereotypical black and tan saddleback, and therefore anything that doesn't fit their uninformed opinion of what GSDs look like they assume to be a mix.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
This is Griffin. He is a bicolor, like your pup, and also like your pup has the stockier body and head than what your trainer may be accustomed to seeing.

He has a straight back, a spotted tongue. And oh yeah - he is also a GSD.

My guess is that your trainer is used to seeing Ambred dogs in black in tan with saddles. I think all of us who have anything other than that have gotten the same kinds of comments from people who fancy themselves experts. Try going out in public with a sable!
People will absolutely assure you that your dog is an Elkhound, or maybe a wolf.

My standard response to people like these is that this dog is a working lines dog, and since they are less common than pet and show lines in this country, people aren't as familiar with them, but that yes - it's a German Shepherd.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I agree, people are so used to seeing the black and tan saddlebacks that they just assume they all look like that.

Yep, I had a sable a long time ago. Everyone though he was a wolf.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Looks purebred to me!! Very beautiful too!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
haha. i love it.

good to hear some people with sense.

i guess i'll just have to get used to the constant barading of people telling me she is a lab mix or a wolf hybrid.

YES, i have already gotten both of those comments more than once and i've only had her less than a month.

i'll just make sure i remember what the real experts said and assure everyone she is purebred and she is a working line.

what should i tell the breeder the next class. I'm SURE she'll bring it up again.

of course. she works at the humane society where i got my dog and she has the excuse that she has owned GSD's before.

so whats a lowly peasant like myself supposed to say to such refined knowledge of the breed. not to mention she's a DOG trainer and automatically knows everything about dogs. (sarcasm intended)

i guess i'll just swallow my tongue even though i know she's wrong .

grr.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Quote:she has the excuse that she has owned GSD's before.
That's a really poor excuse to not know a working line dog when they see it. She's probably the person who put MIX on your dog's shelter card.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts