German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we had our 2nd puppy agility class last night, and my trainer is recommending I get a halti or gentle leader type collar for Emme. She is just TOO DISTRACTED at the training field with the other dogs, and not paying attention to me. And her standard collar or harness gives her way too much leeway. At only 30 lbs, I cannot imagine what GSD owners go through with pups! 30 lbs pulling is about killing me.

So I'm off to buy a new head collar. My trainer said it will help her learn to be more focused ON ME instead of everything else. Makes sense to me, and I'd love for her to be more focused on me at class. She is so smart and learns so quick, but we can't do much at class because she is trying so hard to go see the other dogs and people.

I've also been advised to use it at home, and have her on a long leash, to help with the cat issues.

Hope this works - so frustrating because at home she is so very well behaved!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow this worked miracles! Emme was very focused on me and well behaved during the entire class! We were able to actually do the training instead of stand around hoping she'll calm down. It really worked well. I understand it is a training tool, not a forever item - so I am hoping doing this for awhile at class will help her understand she has to be calm around the other dogs and focus on me.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Do you have the head halter on while the dog jumps over bar jumps? Unless your instructor has Launch the Dog style jumps with no extra jump cups above your bar height, you're playing with fire on that. I've seen dogs get standard flat collars caught on jump cups. I can't imagine how freaked a dog would get with a head halter caught up on a jump cup...

Be careful. Be safe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goodness no way are we using this for any type of agility jumping, etc. Sorry!!! I should have been more clear!! We are doing a foundation class, which is just learning hand signals, body language, etc. Em is just 6.5 months old - no jumping for her! Then we are also doing an obedience class as well. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
could you show me a picture of your head harness? I have the lower harness which is better than a collar..but I still get a LOT of pulling. I've got a gentle lead but can't figure out how to use the stupid thing..even with the video it's confusing how to get that thing just right :(

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Goodness no way are we using this for any type of agility jumping, etc. Sorry!!! I should have been more clear!! We are doing a foundation class, which is just learning hand signals, body language, etc. Em is just 6.5 months old - no jumping for her! Then we are also doing an obedience class as well. :)
Glad to hear it!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
They work very well for many dogs..

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that darn thing is confusing to get on!! I find that my loop that goes around the nose winds up slipping through, and I get all confused wondering why the heck I cant get it on... then I realize I have to slide it through the other way and on it goes... Those vids are great.

I also watched a video showing how to desensitize your dog to the GL before actually using... using clicker, treats, etc... Here it is --- we did this, and it worked very very well:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I think this might be something I need to work on as Roxy gets older...she wants no part of the thing..and is really skittish about walking right now...in another thread I started I have to take her clear out of the view of my house to walk in any manner ...so doing this isn't going to mean "yay ..a walk" ..it's going to mean "oh crap..it's a walk"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That clicker training is a real miracle, I swear by it! Anytime I make the effort to clicker train Em to something it works! Give it a try if you aren't already

·
Registered
128 Posts
Love the Halti, my trainer suggested it as well, and i can walk her with a few fingers...i bought it off Ebay, for a fraction of the cost , brand new...looked up what size she would be, got a Size 3, and slips it on with little resistance...i have more control, and because i have more control i have more confidence, and i know she feels it, and has been much better on walks...she still passes dogs with no issues, then she will see a dog that will start barking first, and pick up this weird vibe, and starts to do her thing, but with the halti, it stops, fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts