German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if I should have my 9 month marley get some basic training first then get her spaded? Will she act different if I were to get her spaded first then trained?

What are some recommendations?

thank you
-david

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I wouldn't think the spaying would make a difference. I would get her spayed at the age her vet recommends.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think it can make a difference if you are going to do protection training with her. Some people have said the bitch's drive went down considerably after being spayed. For obedience training it should not make a difference.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
Have you done any training with her yet? I start training when mine first come home as puppies. At 9 months old I hope you have already started training her, but if not you should definitely start now.

When to spay her (BTW, it's "spayed", not spaded), should be a completely separate decision. Most people will recommend waiting until she's 18 to 24 months before spaying, but if you don't want to wait that long, a couple of months after her first heat is another option. There are several threads in the Basic Care subforum regarding spaying and neutering if you'd like to read further.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was curious if I should have my 9 month marley get some basic training first then get her spaded? Will she act different if I were to get her spaded first then trained?

What are some recommendations?

thank you
-david
If you're just talking basic training, obedience. Do it as soon as you get them. Spaying will not alter their personality. At least not noticeably. Except maybe the bite training thing as mentioned.
I used to get asked that question a lot when I worked at the Veterinarian.
Their personality remains in tact after spaying/neutering.
Its anything that relates to hormones that will change. So most noticeable will be males. They wont want to pee on every single tree, maybe just every other tree instead. And they wont have the drive to procreate.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
If you're just talking basic training, obedience. Do it as soon as you get them. Spaying will not alter their personality. At least not noticeably. Except maybe the bite training thing as mentioned.
I used to get asked that question a lot when I worked at the Veterinarian.
Their personality remains in tact after spaying/neutering.
Its anything that relates to hormones that will change. So most noticeable will be males. They wont want to pee on every single tree, maybe just every other tree instead. And they wont have the drive to procreate.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to inform Cujo2 of this. When Hepsi goes in heat, he has himself a very good time. And every day, he runs over and marks the side of the x-pen that closes off the aeration tank from Milla. Not sure why. He is the only dog I have that lifts his leg and marks, the other boys are intact and they still both pee like girls, and no marking. Cujo is the eldest at 3. Moof is two. Oscar will be two soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts