1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Very interesting! I've always put him up to rest and "think" after a training session. Now I can just let him blow off steam :)

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I could have told you that. They look forward to training if it's followed by a reward, and the greatest reward for almost all dogs is our attention.
You go for a beer after work right?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Very interesting! I've always put him up to rest and "think" after a training session. Now I can just let him blow off steam :)
You're probably way past this now, but something I've done with a couple of mine when they're at an age, or point in training where they distract and maybe don't give you 100%. Put them up and let them think about that, then see if they wake up a little and earn some play.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Yup. I have done that. But not for them. It was because I was ready to strangle him and needed a break. lol

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hope it's true because that's how I always do it. Not because I thought there was any science behind it...just play is part of training and when there's no more work to be done we would just kick back and play for a bit as sort of a grand finale.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The study was done with Labs though, so the percentage of benefit might be different for other breeds. I think if my dog learned 40% faster she'd know it before we started training LOL!

But it is interesting to see scientific proof that play helps to cement the memory of the training.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts