German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips regarding training dogs to pee in a specific area of the yard? We have an acre fenced back yard and the girls tend to pee right off the deck. It kills the grass in spots and looks horrible. They don’t poop near the house and I need them to do the same when they pee. I need them to go out about 25 to 30 yards and go behind the shop. I have seen a stake that you put in the ground that is suppose to “encourage” dogs to go. Any thoughts?
Sorry I didn’t search the site first, I just thought of that.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
I would take them to the spot you want them to go and give a command to pee. If you stay consistent, the habit should form. Males need something to mark, so a stake would be a target, but females wouldn't see it the same way!
Karlo has gone to the same spot since he was a baby pup, sadly I don't like the place he does his business.
I should have taken him to the wooded area from the get-go.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks Onyx'girl, I will try it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The Pee stakes are awesome. We used one and it worked great. The only downside is, every loose/stray dog in the neighborhood is going to be in love with that thing. Onyx'girl is correct. Our female dog could've cared less about it, but she followed Finn wherever he went, so she would pee near-ish the stake and we would treat, so she got it solely on training, but Finn would pee all over it happily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts