German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is some kind of finish that can be put on laminate flooring that’ll provide increased traction? I have wall to wall laminate flooring in my house with area rugs over the major traffic areas. But there are still some small spots that are bare laminate. Sometimes my old guy, with a wonky hind end, hits these bare spots just so, his back legs slide out from under him and he falls. These spots are too small for another area rug but I’d like to make it safer for my old guy. I’m afraid one of these times he’ll fall and injure himself. Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got plenty of runners and am thinking about booties. Also came across this stuff: Shaws Paw Wax. Going to Home Depot tonight to see if they have any recommendations.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was also going to suggest the paw wax, or even Bag Balm if you can get it at a local drug store. We use it on sore paws at the daycare and it's pretty tacky (but not in a messy way). Also make sure to keep his nails very short, to avoid any "scrabbling."

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I tried the paw wax for Max and it didn't work at all. I have an 18 year old sheltie mix now and my only solution is non skid rugs - everywhere. Luckily for the dogs, most of my house is carpeted except for the entry way (where she sleeps on one of her beds) and the kitchen (where she eats).

Max did wear a boot on one of his back paws because he dragged it due to his back problems. They have great traction, and even though they don't look like they would stay on, they do! Might be worth a try. Here's what he wore:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Single-Barkn-Boot-Grip-Trex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts