German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you know how long the body had been at that spot? If it had been there long enough to decompose then the soil would have soaked up fluids from decomposition. Cadaver dogs are often trained using such soil in lieu of dead bodies. Or if there was significant blood loss there, same thing.

I don't know if you are only interested in tracking, but since Scout has demonstrated an aptitude for finding cadaver scent, you might train him specifically for that. 6 years old is probably too old to start a deployable SAR dog, but it could be fun to go through the training process while planning ahead for your next dog.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1I do not know what to say. Finding a dead body is quite different them teaching my dog to do search and rescue.
Unfortunately missing people are not always alive. But we still want to find them, right? The training of the dog is not so different.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.