German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what kinda shoes do you guys wear? Most of our members are ocnstantly buying 100-300 dollar boots for tracking, and I normally just wear an old pair of work boots, but they just aren't comfortable and I end up half limping around before OB/Protection.

What do you suggest> I see hunting boots, rain boots, winter boots, etc... but does it really matter? Thinking maybe I need better tread so I don't have to kick in as heavy.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have been wearing my UGGS this winter mostly because it is sooo cold and they are sooo warm. ;)

I can't afford the $300.00 tracking boots plus a nice pair of winter boots for myself so I use both.

I do plan on purchasing rain boots for the upcoming months though.

During the summer I use running shoes, have been known to work in flip flops once or twice... shh.. don't tell. ;)

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
$300 tracking boots? :eek:

I just use whatever I happen to be wearing that is comfortable and weather appropriate.... work boots, hiking boots, snow boots, sneakers, sandals. I do have a pair of $20 tall plain rubber boots from farm store that get a lot of use in spring when it's muddy, or when it's raining or when tracking in taller grass that is wet with dew. But that's just to keep my feet and pants dry.

I know people who are downright superstitious about their tracking footwear and I've never understood it as I've not found that what shoes I wear makes any difference whatsoever to the dog running the track.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a pair of Muck Boots Arctic Sports, and I love them:

http://tinyurl.com/4shf5vk

They're tough enough that an occasional rock or dirt clod to the toe doesn't hurt, yet they're soft enough to lay an FH track in without making my feet hurt.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I use Muckmaster Muck boots, 16" with the rubber all the way up (my yard turns into about 6 inches of standing water in the spring so I need rubber boots anyway). They are ten thousand times more comfortable than any other boot I've tried, and I have arthritis in my right foot so I have to be more picky. They were not cheap (about $100) but after a year I got a crack in one boot and they were replaced free of charge. My brother is a professional outdoorsman (fishing guide) and they have his stamp of approval.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I might need to try those!

The rubber "farm boots" here are about $50.00 for the insulated ones... I'd rather put the money into something of better quality anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I use Asolo hiking boots and Gaiters

My calves are too big and my feet too small to fit comfortably into a boot that slides on :(

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I might need to try those!

The rubber "farm boots" here are about $50.00 for the insulated ones... I'd rather put the money into something of better quality anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I Mucks I have are not even the "arctic" ones for winter and my feet have never ever been cold in them even in the Michigan winters, nor have they ever gotten wet even in several inches of standing water or walking through a stream. In the winter I don't even wear special socks, just maybe two pairs, more for extra cushion than warmth. I've been known to slip them on barefoot to do a quick yard cleanup. I also like that they are "hands free", they have this tread that runs up the back of the heel that easily catches on just about anything for pulling them off. Also there are no liners, never EVER again will I wear boots that have liners!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have the same boots as Lies. I use them for tracking, for yardwork, for walking the dog in cold/wet conditions, and I do love them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Muck style boots are nice, but when I'm tracking in pretty consistant/easy walking kinds of places, particularly when it's warm out, I just wear sandles. I try to walk normally as well.

Al Govednik

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Depends on the conditions. If it is wet I wear boots. Dry, I wear what ever I am wearing.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Whatever footwear I decide to have on depends on the weather and where I will be tracking. I have very picky feet, so comfort is a must :eek:

For mucky/swampy tracking, I usually wear my weather-proofed Asolo hikers and gaiters. I hate having cold wet feet! I am also thinking of getting a pair of the boots that Lies has for this reason.

When tracking in regular grassy spots, I wear whatever I happen to have on my feet (sandles, runners, etc)

For dry, prickly spots, I usually wear my summer hiking boots.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Muck or bust!

ETA: I am on my second pair of Mucks in 4 years and that is only because I am now a member of the club everyone asks about. The "there's one shoe on the side of the road, how did that person lose ONE shoe?" club.:hammer:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow.. what an array of answers!!!

Well... because i didn't mention, it isn't ALL about the colt ( i have lots of different socks for the weather), and YET on the wet, so I see where cheap rain boots would work ( cept, again, my calves don't fit comfortable in them, if they even fit at all!!!!). Mine is more... to avoid having to stomp SO many times.. With Cullen, we are on two turns, good food, but still visible... and I help with some of the pups, which need GOOD prints left.... ( my dog can't track sandal tracks... well.. I dunno.. I will try soon, but for now we are just getting him used to turns and distraction before we make it harder!!!!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
LOL, Jesusica!I've got muckboots, too. I wear them when it is wet and cold, otherwise I'll wear whatever the weather/temp conditions.
I don't do flip flops, I'll throw on my trail shoes to lay the track when it is hot out.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I wear my Mucks even during Texas summers. I just fold the top down so it's more of a hi-top than a boot.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Rubber boots, or Leather Hikers, or running shoes.

I usually wear rubber boots all winter though - rarely do I get cold feet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts