German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
Not sure if you are doing AKC or SchH tracking.

For SchH a fursaver collar is what is used(in trials and in training)so no harness is used....the harness may be used in protection(the dog knows when the harness goes on what they will be doing) and for that I like the https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=96 even though the description is "tracking" it is a really good one for protection/bitework. Excellent quality for the cost.

If you are doing AKC style tracking, I'll leave that up to the experienced AKC people:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nash and I are actually in training for SAR, just was curious what harness people like out there, whether for SAR or other tracking.

I've been using a Yurkiw Patrol and Tracking Harness for Nash for the last year that we have been training. I like it, but I have been thinking that it may not be so great for hot weather.

Images from the web, thats not Nash.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you're looking for a good quality harness for SAR work, you may want to look at the ones Signature K-9 in Virginia produces --> Nylon Harnesses

A lot of their harnesses are "multi use" and can be used for tracking, protection, etc. Most have velcro panels for ID labels (like a Velcro "Search and Rescue" label) or can have pouches/pockets added to them.

All their stuff is really well made, too. I have the Extreme Duty Harness they sell, as well as the breastplate adapter that makes it a Y-front harness, and like it a lot. It's really nice quality and being nylon, I can toss it in the wash if I want to. I've got some external pockets on it for carrying small items (keys, cell phone, etc.) on day hikes, too, and it works really well for that.

My only gripe with their gear is that it doesn't come in sizes. Ronja is really small in girth, so getting this to fit her right was a challenge. If you have a standard-sized German Shepherds, though, there should be no issues about fitting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.