German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be bringing my GSD puppy home on Christmas Eve :)wub:) and I need to start getting her toys.. Should I go with large or extra large toys, for example kong toys (like the rubber ones).. What are your guys' feelings on size of toys/what do you use? I know she will just be a little thing, so should I get her puppy-sized toys? The only thing is, she's wont be little for long and I don't really want to waste money..

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Just like babies, puppies are expensive. I would buy some medium sized toys for her for now. If you buy her a large or x-large kong there's not much she can do with it. Not much point in buying it right now at all. She needs puppy sized toys, but I would buy medium sized things for now. Things such as nylabones you could just buy the larger sizes.

Our puppies usually play with the stuff the bigger dogs already have, but we have such a variety of toys for them that there's plenty they can play with. Almost everyone ignores the big kongs....but the nylabones, the hollee-roller, the kong treat ball, and the cuz's are a huge hit.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
For toys, I'd recommend the holee roller ball, a puppy nylabone, fish or keys(these are softer, so should be tossed when pups big teeth come in). A loofa dog stuffy, small cuz, flirtpole with a rag tied on the string~you can get a buggy whip at tractor supply cheap, they make great flirtpoles.
Empty water bottles with the labels and cap removed are a favorite, you can buy a "sleeve" plush animal to go over it, but my pups just destroyed them.
Milk jugs too, they have a blast with them, again remove the cap.
I think baby pups need smaller toys~ at least a couple when they are still small. Half the fun of getting a pup is the cute baby toys they enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great suggestions so far everyone! And I didn't mean to say that I wouldn't spend the money for the puppy toys, I just didn't know if GSD's destroy the softer puppy toys faster making it not worth it to get them but from what I have gathered so far I will definitely be investing in them. Also I love the milk jug idea and have a freshly emptied and washed one with labels and cap removed ready to go! Can't wait to see her enjoy the new toys! Keep the suggestions coming! Dogs can never have enough toys is what I say :)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I don't bother with the red color kongs anymore... They eventually get little bits off, the black ones are tougher. Also, I find the XL a little too big (Jax is 85-90lbs now) and his lower jaw gets stuck in the hole sometimes so I only leave him with a large one unsupervised.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Make sure you get a chilly bone for teething, two are even better.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree with getting the smaller toys for now. I know I had some larger toys when I brought my puppy home and she didn't play with them as much as the smaller ones that she could fit in her mouth and carry around.

Enjoy your puppy! They do grow up so fast!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i always bought my pup medium size toys. as he got older
i bought him larger toys. make sure what ever you buy
the pup can't swallow it.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I never had a problem with either of my dogs chewing any kind of rubber toy to pieces (like a Kong), even the soft puppy Kong. Maybe they were the exception rather than the rule...

We started with the puppy Kongs and graduated to the black ones. Also used the edible Nylabones and worked our way up to the harder, bigger ones. The Nylabones have always been the favorite here.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Wubbas are great! Just make sure the toy is too big to swallow. My dog has always liked to roll on her back while chewing things and it scared the he!! out of us.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Milk jugs too, they have a blast with them, again remove the cap.
And always supervise with these... it won't take a puppy long to chew on the plastic and pull pieces off. These ARE a LOT of fun, but they get destroyed more quickly than some of the commercially made toys for dogs, like the kongs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The rope toys too are very good for the dog... help clean their teeth and keep them busy. I have the ball and a longer rope with squeakies in it. Different sizes and textures is nice, but my biggest concern is always durability as it doesn't take long for a GSD to go through the material on many of the toys.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
We get a lot of toys from the Dollar Store since they are likely to get destroyed. Some of the Dollar Store toys outlasted the expensive ones. Squeaky toys are a lot of fun if you don't mind the sound repeated over and over and over and over and........

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I don't know about all these toys because my puppies love empty water bottles and old sock with a couple knots in it that I get wet and ring out and put in the freezer. They love tennis balls and a "woobie"a soft woolie cut out of something with a squeaker inside. All other toys pretty much sit in the basket until the puppy gets around 4-5 months old.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I don't know if your pup will be around young children (or over zealous spouses) but before you purchase a toy, picture it sailing across your living room followed by a very excited goof ball of a pup! I make sure I have inside toys and outside toys - I have an over zealous spouse and a lot of windows and lamps.

A lot of our inside toys I purchased on discount after holidays. Like Holloween, Christmas etc. where they are trying to get rid of the seasonal toys. It's a lot cheaper and my dogs don't complain on Easter when they are playing tug with a stuffed pumpkin.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Whatever toys you choose, check where they are made. Toys that are not made in the USA can have lead or other toxic materials. Just as you would be concerned about what an infant is putting in its mouth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts