German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions and curiosities about toy drive. My guy has an absolutely insatiable toy drive, for all of his toys. He will play fetch or tug for hours on end if you engage him. I try not to leave them on the floor so we have defined play times. Is there something more constructive I can be doing with this drive? Or are his toys it?

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have some questions and curiosities about toy drive. My guy has an absolutely insatiable toy drive, for all of his toys. He will play fetch or tug for hours on end if you engage him. I try not to leave them on the floor so we have defined play times. Is there something more constructive I can be doing with this drive? Or are his toys it?
Use the toys as a reward for training!! If he sits, play tug! When he comes when called, play with a toy! but make the toys interactive. Dont just give him a toy and let him go, make the toy come alive when you have it, teach him to want to play WITH you and the toy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Use the toys as a reward for training!! If he sits, play tug! When he comes when called, play with a toy! but make the toys interactive. Dont just give him a toy and let him go, make the toy come alive when you have it, teach him to want to play WITH you and the toy.
Yea I have pretty much focused his training around his toys. Although he seems to have an equally high food drive. Needless to say I have many ways to get him to do what I ask. I just want to teach him more but I guess I really don't know how to go about doing that. Or rather what to teach him. I have never had a dog that is so willing and able to learn and to please. I am sure he could pick up nearly anything I tried to teach him.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
Use his toys in search games. Great way to use his mind and wear him out. Also do obedience for thrown toys. Start on a long line, ask for a down/sit, throw toy, release. As he gets better at it, you can ask for fronts, heeling before sending, or release and ask for a down/sit/stand before he gets to the ball. I do this and then the dog gets to search for his ball in the tall grasses once released.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts