German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milly and Sasha have had the tendancy of playing a little rough when it comes to fetching a Kong. Well this last time it went too far. Sasha got a lock on Milly's shoulders and would not release, well being a big dummy I tried to pull them apart and Sasha locked on to my calf giving me a very deep puncture wound (yes I was treated and going to be OK). Play time is the only time that Sasha gets in the least bit aggressive. So, guess I am going to have to quit playing fetch with both of them, any other ideas to stop toy aggression?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Toy aggression leads to puncture wound (to me!

Hopefully there isn't a next time, but if you find yourself having to break up a Milly and Sasha again, try picking up the dog who has the lock on by the hind legs. Being off balance should help in her releasing. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

For Gods sake, stop playing fetch with more than one dog at a time. You are setting up an adversarial situation where they have to compete against one another to bring you back a prized possession... and they're both females! I have a male and female that like each other a lot, and I would not dream of throwing something for the both of them to retrieve. With their level of toy drive they might just try to eat each other to get it.

·
Registered
129 Posts

hmm how bout you hold back sasha while you throw the ball for milly and repeat till she calms down,then throw the ball for sasha without milly,now shell know she has to be calm when fetching the kong.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts

I can throw two toys and Onyx will not retrieve as she knows Kacie will come after her! So I send Onyx in another direction and she is great with catch or retrieve. If Kacie is around, though Onyx will just watch her fetch. Hope your wound heals fast! OUCH!!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

what works for me is to have two of EVERYTHING, when I treat its with two, I show them two cuz's or kongs, I throw the one toy in one direction and the other 90 degrees the other direction. when I tell them to plats or sitz they both must sitz or platz. Add to that I never leave them alone together, when they aren't playing/working/resting next to me they are in the kennels or crates. If I had it to do over again I would not have gotten two Uber bitches

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDFor Gods sake, stop playing fetch with more than one dog at a time. You are setting up an adversarial situation where they have to compete against one another to bring you back a prized possession... and they're both females! I have a male and female that like each other a lot, and I would not dream of throwing something for the both of them to retrieve. With their level of toy drive they might just try to eat each other to get it.
agreed, like I said if I had to do it over I would of only had one Sch dog

·
Registered
15,940 Posts

How I work "fetch" with two dogs -- One at a time. One watches (secured with a lead) the other one fetches. Then I change dogs. This keeps everyone's spirits up with no fights.

·
Registered
145 Posts

When I had Rascal with Roxie, they would each have their own special toy; Rascal was alpha and I would throw his first, after he took off I could throw Roxie's and she would go after hers. Haven't quite worked it out with Falken yet because whatever toy Roxie has is the one he wants

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

All good advice, I should have never allowed them to fetch together, I suppose it was just entertaining to watch and see which one would get to it first. I made a mistake and paid for it.

Sasha has been establishing herself a little too much lately as pack lead too, which I need to work on. The toy incident was the only aggression issue she has ever had besides attempting to "correct" Milly when she barks etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts