German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
it looks like a refugee camp for dogs.

while its not ideal, Brazil does not have the funds or the culture we have when it comes to pets. At least they are doing something instead of letting these dogs starve to death on the streets or worse.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
As sad as it may appear from the outside, what I did not see was an overage of poop. There were water buckets everywhere. I did not see the chains tangled up on anything. And the dogs all had shelter.

The alternative to this shelter is most likely euthanizing the vast majority of these animals. I think that would cause outrage as well.

Actually, you really do not have to go that far abroad to find sad shelters. Ours is in NE Ohio, and while they have dog houses inside pens instead of chains, they do leave dogs out in those pens year round, meaning in blizzards and very cold weather. Not everyone has the money that the ASPCA (shelter in NYC) has. ASPCA markets all over to get donations for their shelter and it only helps critters in NY. Our little shelters in depressed and rural areas have very little money and very little help. We often have to euthanize a hundred animals or more when there is a parvo outbreak.

My guess is that the people running that shelter in Brazil are doing their absolute best for those dogs. If you want to donate for them to have a state of the art shelter, than feel free. I think that those dogs there have it better than some of the street kids in some of those places.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
That's really sad. In addition to what Selzer pointed out, the dogs also look well fed, I didn't see any ribs and hip bones.

·
Registered
344 Posts
did you see the caption? they consume 12 tons of dog food a month! wow! I give them props for trying, hopefully the government will step in and give these people a hand.

I have a friend overseas in the airforce. He says the dogs over there are EVERYWHERE like rats/ stray cats are in america. They are unfortunately treated like rats as well.

A couple years back one of my classmates was killed in iraq. He was taking care of a litter of puppies that he just found on the street. His parents fought and were able to keep one of his puppies here in america. I see her on my paper route, she's grown to be a pretty girl, her and aschen bark at eachother. I believe her name is Hero.

RIP Justin Rollins animal lover and soldier.

I almost wonder what overseas rescues their are if any? Maybe they can import some?

sigh...i just wish i could save every dog in the world. donate donate donate! Not everywhere has the funds we do, but they have the heart to try!

Hero after 6000 mile trip

·
Registered
954 Posts
It's sad. But I agree what what selzer said. Amazing to see them this well taken care of.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am also on the same page of, this is much better than them living on the street with no food, water, shelter or care. At least these animals are not being abused and the area looks very clean. The dogs are fed and given water and seem to be in pretty good shape. Unfortunately these countries do not have the luxury of the state of the art facilities we see here, some people live worse than those dogs.
So under the circumstances it makes me feel better knowing these dogs are cared for an looked after.

That shelter is much better off than the puppy mills that are run in this country and nothing is done about those. At least these dogs are reproducing, they aren't stacked in crates and they are treated kindly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
While it's not ideal, at least they are being taken care of and given shelter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts