German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the toughest part of the test for your dog? I was reading through all the parts and I can't imagine my dog letting someone else do basic grooming on him. He can barely stand me brushing him!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Our hardest part was leaving the dog with a stranger for 3 minutes and go out of site - the longest three minutes of my life. Of course the person holding the leash was a trusted person known by my trainer but that 3 minutes seemed to last forever - maybe even 30 minutes. Good luck with your training.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought the 3 minute separation was going to be the hardest

In fact the week before the test, we failed it during practice.....my dog howled and lunged the entire time. But on test day she did it perfectly! Different 'stranger' that day and a whole different attitude. I was really worried about it and worked on it a lot.

The only other thing that we found difficult was the recall. The recall itself was fine, my dog has a near perfect recall off leash. But for the test it is done on a 20 foot line, my dog hates working on a long line. It gets all tangled up in her feet, no matter how carefully I try, and then she stops and tries to untangle herself. We had to work the most on that! Miraculously, she didn't get tangled on test day!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Hands down for us...when I had to leave the room. He was convinced I was disappearing into the worm hole:rolleyes: Everything else he did fine. Well, we had to work on passing another dog but he did it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Heidi doesn't have her CGC, but I took her to a one-time training class for it once. The hardest thing was the leaving her with a stranger, same as yours. The second thing we needed to work on was not reacting to another dog. I believe she could have passed with some work, but we just never got around to it. Now she's 12 and it doesn't seem like a priority. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
For us, it will be supervised separation. Our pup flips out when I get 10 feet away. Strong herding instinct.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I tested Rusty when he was 8 months & 12 months. I should test him again at 3 years old now that he's matured and has gained more confidence. Thank you for starting this thread:)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Interesting statement. What makes you say it is herding instinct?
It's not separation anxiety. I can leave the house just fine. But when we walk around and I have to leave my husband to run to the trash, Zeus has a hard time handling that the pack separated. I talked to a trainer and breeder and both said that he thinks at that point, my husband is not doing his job at keeping me close and he needs to do that job. If he runs too far at the park, he stops and waits for us to catch up. He has been herding other dogs and ducks (ducks belong in the pond according to Zeus).

If this was separation anxiety than he would act this way at home and around the house.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Smitty dog has a hard time being calm around strangers. Everybody is supposed to love on him and pet him so when he sees people he gets very excited and happy and bouncy. So the whole keeping calm while being petted and walking on a loose leash calmly around people has been trouble because he's just such a friendly sociable guy!

:D

Long down, recall, brushing, messing with the feet all doing good once he's settled.

So other then the 'oooo I love people I love people I love people thing' we are getting really close to being ready to roll on our test this fall! (fingers crossed)

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the dog can't even sniff the other dog? Just sit and look? A basic title like this really makes you appreciate what it takes to get a schutzhund title!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Ya, for someone who is an experienced trainer it's not that hard.

As a first taste of having to perform basic OB routine with distractions though, IMO it is an accomplishment to be proud of.

A lot of people tell their dog to 'sit' they reward and then as soon as they reward the dog jumps up and does his thing again. So just even proofing commands like sit and down to mean something is really a good step to better OB.

:)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Miraculously, Berlin did great with the 3 minute separation, but failed the dog part. Lol still working on "ignoring" other dogs! Everything else he did perfectly. He took it when he was 11 months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
The hardest parts in the tests I have done (as an evaluator) have been the grooming and the 3 minute separation. The latter is the worst.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The hardest parts in the tests I have done (as an evaluator) have been the grooming and the 3 minute separation. The latter is the worst.
Do you find that GSD's have the hardest time with the separation part or all breeds in general?

When we tested I became nervous when it came to that part of the test. I'm sure my body language was screaming red flag to him.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hands down, the hardest part for my boy was walking through the group. He literally wanted to stop and socialize with EVERYONE. :)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Our test is next month, I will let you guys know how bad we fail.

I will be retaking the class over and over so he can be exposed to the environment and eventually get bored of it LOL

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Do you find that GSD's have the hardest time with the separation part or all breeds in general?

When we tested I became nervous when it came to that part of the test. I'm sure my body language was screaming red flag to him.
It's def. a GSD thing but I wouldn't necessarily call it separation anxiety and honestly, I do like it that not everyone can just take my dog and walk away unless it is a trusted person.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts