German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply put, it looks like I'm going to have to rehome APOLLO(almost 4 year old GSD)It is breaking my heart and I have not stopped crying. He has now gone after and started a fight or attacked almost every dog in the house. keep in mind that almost every Attack resulted in me being injured--all dogs were fine. I don't know how many more injuries my hands can take. I was ok with crating and rotating him and Midnite(older male gsd) and Batman(grethound/husky mix) but now I am out of room for rotation. About 3 weeks ago we were sleeping and out of the blue he went for my older golden. I have no clue why, all I know was I was half asleep and furniture was flying. He had him by his neck and was shaking him. I did not get injured that time and not even a scratch on the golden which I can't understand with the grip he had. He has since not been allowed near the golden(still able to manage the crate and rotate fairly)Yesterday he nailed Robyn(female GSD). They are best buds and I never saw that coming. They were playing, she plays rough and I seen his face change. Robyn can handle her own but not this time. APOLLO is not big, 70 pounds at the most, but his whole body becomes super tight and every muscle tightens up. He flipped her, she yelped and he once again went for her neck. I couldn't get him to let go. When I did I lost him and he went at her again--3 times. The last time she was trying to fight back but my hand was there and that was what was getting bit. I told her no bite and she released. I finally freed her. My hand is pretty messed up. About 8 puncture wounds and swollen. I am on antibiotics. Once again, not a mark on Robyn. I'm not sure how that is even possible the way he had her. So he is pretty much in the crate at all times and goes out only when no dogs are anywhere near him. I called the local GSD club but haven't heard back. He can not be around other dogs and I would say no cats either(just in case) he is the perfect dog on his own. He has to go somewhere with someone who understands this and doesnt think they can bring him around dogs. I'm thinking this is not going to be easy. It's just heartbreaking, but it's to the point I have to protect the other dogs.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, sending healing thoughts.

As somebody that owns multiple dogs, intact, both sexes, and much larger than 70#s, let me give you some helpful hints.

STOP the rough play, immediately, and never again. Rough play serves only two purposes, 1) teach the dog that the rough player is playing with to be one itself, and 2) it serves to escalate to a fight between the dogs at some point in time.

More importantly, you need to learn to break up a dog fight especially when you are alone. Your hands should NEVER be near a dog's mouth, head or neck if it is involved in or you think things might escalate to a dog fight.

Whether you rehome Apollo or crate / rotate, here is your Bible on dog care from here on out: Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I got nothin'.
I know how much you love your dogs, and I am sorry you are in this position.
Would it be possible to build a secure run for him in your yard? And give him a couple hours a day when the others are secured to spend with you? Is it possible there is a health issue, or injury?
I am really just grasping at straws here for you.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got nothin'.
I know how much you love your dogs, and I am sorry you are in this position.
Would it be possible to build a secure run for him in your yard? And give him a couple hours a day when the others are secured to spend with you? Is it possible there is a health issue, or injury?
I am really just grasping at straws here for you.
I do have a run and that is where he has been going. I have no problem letting him in the yard as long as every dog is out of his path, but that won't be until I heal. I no longer trust him. I thought medical, but I honestly doubt that. He hates the vet, so that would be a stressful adventure on its own. I won't bring him to the shelter or let just anyone have him. He is very attached to me, so this is going to be hard on both of us. He is my car ride buddy, goes with me all the time to run small errands. At night he falls asleep on top of me, then moves when I doze off, but he is always by my side. I love him so much.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I really think you would have no problem crate and rotating him. It is not so difficult.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think you would have no problem crate and rotating him. It is not so difficult.
I have no more areas to hold dogs. I already have two in the bathroom and two in the laundry room. There are no more closed off rooms. That leaves me with the two girls. I can put them outside but that leaves only the run as an option. I don't trust that he can't escape that, not yet anyway. So his life would be crate, run to pee and back in the crate. That wouldn't be fair to him.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I have no more areas to hold dogs. I already have two in the bathroom and two in the laundry room. There are no more closed off rooms. That leaves me with the two girls. I can put them outside but that leaves only the run as an option. I don't trust that he can't escape that, not yet anyway. So his life would be crate, run to pee and back in the crate. That wouldn't be fair to him.
Can you make the run six sided?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curious to how his eyes looked after the incidents? Dilated at all?
I did not. I was very light headed. I'm not great at looking at blood, especially my own.

The thing I don't get and I surely am thankful for is that he didn't do any damage to this dogs as hard as he had them? How does that happen?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you make the run six sided?
The run is attached to the house, so it's 2 sided. It's 10x20. It's pretty solid but he is an escape artist. He paces it looking for a way out. There is a lick on the gate so he can't open that. The crate has to have locks on it all the way around, because he has pulled the wire up in the past and punctured his chest.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
I did not. I was very light headed. I'm not great at looking at blood, especially my own.

The thing I don't get and I surely am thankful for is that he didn't do any damage to this dogs as hard as he had them? How does that happen?
They say if you could shave the dogs down, you would see the bruising.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could get some recreational bones about three times a week. That would keep him busy and let him enjoy some fresh air. I just don't want to over due it with bone. 1/2 the run is shade, there is a water bucket out there and some toys.

Right across from that run is the chicken/duck run. The dogs don't have access to them and I have to make sure he can't get to them. He is neutral with them, he don't bark at them. He checks them out and goes on his way. I used him the first couple weeks they were out there to make sure nothing was coming in the uard(raccoons/possums) Him being in that run can serve a purpose. I could technically leave him out there at night and sleep on the couch to make sure I can here him. The problem would be, he wants to be with me and I don't think he will settle down. If the Mosquitos were not so bad I would camp out with him, that he would like.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They say if you could shave the dogs down, you would see the bruising.
I looked at her the best I could. I didn't want to get fur in my wounds and I couldn't put gloves on due to swelling. I am going to have my son check her out better tomorrow, but she is not showing any signs of being stiff or in pain. She had a small amt of blood on the end of her fur, but I concluded that it was my blood.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
If he has a run to be in and he can spend cuddle time with you, I think you can make this work. Your others are all ok together?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If he has a run to be in and he can spend cuddle time with you, I think you can make this work. Your others are all ok together?
This is how it goes..I have to keep notes..lol

Misty, Tannor, Robyn and Midnite are good together. These four are a constant.

Misty, Tannor, Brennan, Batman and Robyn are good together(batman and Robyn can be iffy, but since Batman has calmed down they are ok-enough where they will ignore each other)

It used to be Misty, Tannor, Robyn and APOLLO--so I would rotate Midnite and APOLLO in this group.

Brennan and Batman are always together, but can be thrown into certain groups. They are still very active and their movement drives Midnite nuts.

Right now Brennan and Batman are in the laundry room. Batman in an escape proof crate. I'm redoing that to get him out of the crate. I'm putting up a secure door they can see out of but not escape(batman is another escape artist) and I have to Batman proof that room. He still gets into stuff-but not as bamd as he used to be. The run is used by them the most. They get excited when they see the chickens/ducks but they do ok out there and can stay out there for longer periods. They are rotated into the bigger yard a few times a week to play ball or just sit out there with me. Any dog that is out and about can interact with Brennan through the gate. So even though he might not be in a group, they have access to each other without issue.

My main concern is Misty. She is almost 14. I do not need APOLLO to pull anything stupid with her. That worries me. She doesn't move around as fast as she used to, so getting her out of the house to get APOLLO out can be a long process. I have to make sure she is protected at all times. She can get crabby in her old she and I'm pretty sure APOLLO can not tell the difference like let's say my golden Tannor.

So there is that....

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a typical run outside like when I come home for lunch...

Used to be
Misty, Tannor, Robyn, Midnite out in the big yard. Midnite comes in, goes in the bathroom, APOLLO comes out of the crate and goes outside with the three dogs. Then I get Batmsn and Brennan into the fun. They come in, then APOLLO goes back in crate. Midnite out of bathroom

APOLLO was in crate while I was at work, then at night Midnite was in crate and APOLLO was out.

Now it goes like this...

Misty Tannor tobyn Midnite out in yard. APOLLO to the run. Apollo comes in and goes in bathroom. Batman and Brennan in run. Batman and Brennan back in. APOLLO back in crate. The other 4 in.

I'm tired just writing this lol... It's a lot of running to make it work, even more now.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Don't forget when you rotate them that you can always put the agitator on a leash to move him through the house when Misty is not being cooperative.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't forget when you rotate them that you can always put the agitator on a leash to move him through the house when Misty is not being cooperative.
That would happen after I heal because that would be APOLLO and he doesn't have a collar on in the crate, so I would have to put collar on and take it off. Right now I can't use my hand at all. It is an option. I could also take him for a quick walk while the others are in the yard.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
So it's doable, just tiring. I feel for you, truly and I think most would understand if you opted for rehoming. I just know how much you love your dogs, so I am trying to help you bounce ideas around.
Did you say you have a son who lives away from home?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts