German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Kahn passed this week I had been talking to my breeder a lot this week about the whole situation. She called me yesterday with a suprise. She told me that I could come choose any female I want from her newest litter. She said I put so much time and effort into training and taking care of my dogs that she would have a fantastic home and even picked one out that she thought stood out as to what I was looking for. :wub:

I am just not sure if I am ready for a girl. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
no, spend your efforts on the pup you have, adding a female pup to the mix would not be fair to Reno.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
ahhh those girlz:)) love em, but they are sure different than my boys were:)

Only thing I can say, is bet Reno would love a girl:)

Good luck with your decision,,personally I think having multiple gsd's is a good thing:)

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
You sound like girls are scarey.

I think you should have a good discussion with the breeder. Thank her for her offer. Ask her if you could wait for a year or two and maybe get a discount on a pup at that time.

Depending on how much these pups cost you, it is really hard to pass up such an offer. I think that it would be better to wait. Your older pup will not be able to frolic with the baby the same way, at least not for a while. Then two adolescents togeher is always fun.

Unless you spay or neuter young, you will have to have a method to 100% separate when the girl goes into heat which is not the end of the world, but could be a pain.

It is a great offer, but it would be best to wait a year or two.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Only you know if you are ready for another puppy this soon. There are going to be many opinions given on whether or not you should have another puppy when Reno is still a puppy himself.

You should do what makes you happy. My personal opinion is...if you have the time, energy and money, then go for it. I think Reno would enjoy having a "little sister".

Good luck with your decision!!

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
really nice thing for the breeder to do, but i have to add another vote on the side of waiting. yes, girls are very different than boy sheppies. also the energy of the breeder offering is different than the energy of you actively seeking out another dog.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wondered how Reno might act with another pup in the house. He will be 8 months old on the 18th. There will be enough time from the time she came home until I got him altered that she wouldnt go into her first heat. Unless they go into heat earlier than 7 months. He wouldnt be able to romp as hard but he always plays with our little one Munchkin just fine.

I dont think the girls are evil just different. Akira is also a female (spayed) an I worry that they would fight. I would much rather deal with 2 males when it comes to that.

I was thinking of waiting until Jan-Feb to choose another pup as Reno would be over a year old at that point. The dogs are expensive 12-1800 dollars. So passing up an offer like that is hard. I really do miss having 2 GSD's.

Dealing with two pups worked fine for me, but I do want to be fair to Reno though.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Male would probably better with the resident female. Multiple females are usually more trouble. But there is 5-6 years in between and the young one may just defer to her. Hard to say. Is Munchkin male or female.

If you are not ready for a puppy, then don't get it. But I would have a heck of a time turning it down.

Whatever your do. Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Male would probably better with the resident female. Multiple females are usually more trouble. But there is 5-6 years in between and the young one may just defer to her. Hard to say. Is Munchkin male or female.

If you are not ready for a puppy, then don't get it. But I would have a heck of a time turning it down.

Whatever your do. Good luck.
Thats my feeling right now. My friend who was a police dog trainer said the same thing lol! I am ready for a new pup. It would help take my mind off some things.

Munchkin is a female but the vet estimates her at 10-12YO She only has half of her teeth, cateracts, heart murmer, and I swear she is going deaf or just doesnt want to listen to me anymore lol. She is pretty relaxed and was never a problem when we brought her in from the streets. She was already spayed as well.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Go for it, then. You shouldn't be afraid of girlies. I think they're the best.

Of course I may be prejudiced by the eight little ladies down below, and the best girl of all time listed above them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts