German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
As we patiently await the arrival of Gunther I've been considering different feeding options. Our breeder uses TOTW with all his dogs and thats what he weans the pups with. His price to us on the TOTW is $40/30lbs and I can't find a better price then that. I want to continue with the TOTW as I havent seen hardly anything bad said about it and its 6 stars. My questions lies in whether it would be appropriate to occasionally add some raw into his diet. I don't think our schedules would give us the time to prepare a totally raw diet, but I've been looking into the pre package raw diets as possible a 3 day a week program supplimented with kibble. Would I still need to suppliment vitamins and such? And is there any prepackaged RAW that you've had good experience to start with. I know we may have to adjust. We get to pick Gunther up on Oct 19th, we can't wait. Got some pic of him at 28 and he is gonna be a handsome black sable.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! TOTW is a great food. Nature's Variety makes a raw frozen diet and a freeze dried raw diet- I've only used the raw. It comes in patties or small medallions. But you can always add your own raw meat, eggs, yogurt and if you stay with TOTW you probably won't need supplements, although many people might suggest that you do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nature's variety was what I was looking at and its readily available here in the CLT area. How often would you recommend using it in place of raw. I'm not sure I prepares to be messing with different supplements and vitamins with a complete raw diet, but i believe TOTW is a good kibble that with some raw will be a healthy diet.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree- I feed the Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit dry and vary the frozen raw depending on what my vet has, that's the only place I can get it in my town. So far the venison has been the biggest hit but they grew up on the chicken and beef patties because of the size. I was adding the raw to the dry but ended up not mixing them and replacing a dry meal with a raw every couple of meals. I don't feed any supplements, just add an egg or yogurt or cheese now and then

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stosh
thanks for the advice I think that is what I'm gonna do. Now just this darn wait for our pup. We didn't think it would be this bad until our breeder sent of video and pics at 28 days. Now the anticipation is killer.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That was me about a year ago exactly. :) waiting is the worst.
As far as RAW goes (I am sure you have seen that whole section on here) is really not that hard. Key for us is to buy in bulk(about 100lbs of human grade meats). We then spend few hours on shopping day to package everything throw it in the freezer (free on CL) and we are set for few months.
Seems like you have a plan of action already but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. ;)
Best of luck with your pup.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I was lucky enough to be able to visit my pups before they came home. The breeder is about an hour and a half away so my husband patiently drove there every other week or so just so I wouldn't drive him nuts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ours is about an hour away, but our breeder doesn't allow outside contact till 6 weeks for any of his pups. And it will be 7 weeks when we get back from vacation, so we'll be able to come pick him up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.