German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere but ...
When TOTW was recalled I switched my dog to Acana and am
very happy with it.
However
TOTW is back and it is $30/bag cheaper than Acana (30 lb bag).
Can anyone tell me why Acana is worth that much more
and if I am being less than diligent by returning to TOTW?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think it is a matter of personal preference. I used to feed TOTW and sometimes Nature's Domain until the recall. The dogs did great and I was happy. Other companies have had recalls, and this was just salmonella, but Diamond has more than 1. But I do think Diamond produces decent food for the price. TOTW is still a good food, it just depends on your comfort level with the company.

But there are other dog foods out there that are a good price as well. I had no idea Acana had become that expensive. I fed it for a bit, and the chicken grain free was $55/bag, but it was hard to get for awhile, and the local store won't stock it anymore. I'm feeding Dr Tim's now,and the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Acana is great, but it has become ridiculously expensive as of recent. I remember when I could get the largest bag of the Wild Prairie for around $50.
No mas.
I still keep a medium-sized "emergency" bag on hand from time to time, just in case something happens and our raw isn't available/runs out.
My comfort level with Diamond is shot, personally. Between the recalls and what I've personally seen, nary a bag of anything they produce will ever enter my house. But every dog is individual, and if your dog does well on TOTW, then I don't see any reason not to feed it.
Other grain-free options include Fromm Five-Star Grain Free, Earthborn Grain Free, and if you aren't opposed to freeze dried, Grandma Lucy's (all of which are grain free and their three Artisan formulas, which substitute chick peas for potato). None of them are at as good of a price point as you're getting the Taste of the Wild at, but they are there in case things don't pan out.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Just like with pretty much everything in life... you get what you pay for.

With TOTW... it's just a matter of time before another recall.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Denial of what?

Of a recall. They waited a while last time to recall TOTW while all the other brands they made at that same plant were recalled. Its costs companies a fortune to recall. Its an admission of a problem, loss of revenue and openings for lawsuits.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I switched from TOTW to acana simply because i could afford the price jump and have only heard good things of it. Nothing against totw as my dog enjoyed it but I wanted an upgrade. He is my baby of course

1 - 8 of 8 Posts