1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link and the the page posted below as well

Taste of the Wild : Information

Recall Information

Diamond Pet Foods, Manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, Issues Voluntary Recall of Dry Pet Food
Recall is limited to product manufactured between December 9, 2011 through April 7, 2012 and distributed to 16 states and Canada

05/04/12

Diamond Pet Foods, manufacturer of Taste of the Wild Pet Food, has issued a voluntary recall of limited batches of their dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

Although none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies but decided to independently expand the recall to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.

To determine if your pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags. Any production codes that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit in the production code should be discarded. The best before dates are December 9, 2012, through April 7, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Canada

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods via a toll free call at 1-866-918-8756, Monday through Sunday, 8 am – 6pm EST. Consumers may also go to diamondpetrecall.com for more information. The company is working with distributors and retailers to ensure all affected product is removed from shelves.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. We do not have any confirmed reports of pet illnesses.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have received a limited number of reports of salmonellosis, the illness caused by Salmonella. We are working with the CDC, but due to patient confidentiality, we cannot comment further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For more information, please visit diamondpetrecall.com.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Well that's the final straw for me. I've been considering switching off Taste of the Wild since the news of the suspension of deliveries and shut down of the entire South Carolina plant. This seals the deal for me, tomorrow morning I'm picking up a bag of Orijen 6 Fish and switching from TotW Pacific Stream Puppy to Orijen 6 Fish as quickly as my pup's stomach will allow.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, I am beyond disgusted with Diamond. For me it's not even about the recall, because recalls happen all the time, but with how they have handled it. They have had potentially contaminated foods sitting on shelves, in people's cupboards, and going into customers pets bowls for a month now and they just keep expanding the recall every week. It's sickening. If there was ever even a question of whether other brands and formulas were affected they should have pulled everything off the market right off the bat. Take the financial hit for the sake of the health of your customers and their pets and be honest about what's going on.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yeah, I am beyond disgusted with Diamond. For me it's not even about the recall, because recalls happen all the time, but with how they have handled it. They have had potentially contaminated foods sitting on shelves, in people's cupboards, and going into customers pets bowls for a month now and they just keep expanding the recall every week. It's sickening. If there was ever even a question of whether other brands and formulas were affected they should have pulled everything off the market right off the bat. Take the financial hit for the sake of the health of your customers and their pets and be honest about what's going on.
I'm bothered by it too. I hate getting these emails every week. I really hope that everybody's pets stay healthy.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
WOW

I returned a bag with an expiration date of March 2013 (right in the middle of those dates) produced in SC about 2 weeks ago.......The odor was terrible! Glad I had only fed one bowl of it. ........ of course I was told no reason, everything all good, with the food but I refused it. Glad I did. Got them to send me a 2nd bag of Fromm instead.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Well, I have been expecting it, 4Health is one of them. I have a bitch with the runs, and then there are the puppies.

So I called TSC and asked what they are doing about the recall.

The Diamond one?
Yeah, Diamond, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, 4Health...

No, it's just the Diamond Naturals.

Uhm, no it's not, its a list of them.

Well I have nothing on that.

Well I am reading it right here on the internet, Diamond expands recall...

Ok, I will look into it.

I gave her my name and number and she did call me back about half an hour later.

She said that when they had the Diamond, they checked all the mfg codes and none of the were from SC. So I asked if they would probably send all the different brands from the same plants. She did not know how the supply with the distributors works, so she didn't know.

I told her that I have been looking for a while for the x's and have not seen any. But I have had some problems with this last bag, we'll see if we can clean that up.

Frankly Salmonella does not worry that much, not for healthy adult dogs. But it does worry me with pregnant females, and weanlings. And it worries me for me.

My dad says I am nuts because I feed them raw chicken and that is a lot more likely to have Salmonella. That is probably how I got sick. But who knows, really.

Anyhow the nasty bag is finished, now I need to scrub out the container with hot soapy water, and let it dry thoroughly and just keep checking the date codes and hope and pray it really isn't anything.

·
Registered
943 Posts
UGH! I will be calling the pet store I purchased a bag of Diamond Hi-Energy from, hopefully I can just get my money back from them. I was using it to help put weight on Izzy. I was a bit reserved about purchasing Diamond, but they boast on the bag "151 Checks" for safety, quality and how carefully they screen the food they produce now. What a bunch of bull!!!!

Best Dog Food | Diamond Pet Foods

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Diamond makes so many foods, kirtland, candiae, taste of the wild, 4 heath, solid gold, natural balance, wellness and the list goes on and on and on. It is hard to find good food that is reasonably priced that is not made by diamond.

Salmonella is usually not so terrible, usually. I am worried though. But I have been looking on my bags for a while. Will check them all again. I hope they aren't lying to us.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah I'm a little confused how we can feed our dogs raw meat and never have an issue but when a kibble has salmonella it's scary? I'm far from an expert but does it change at all after it's processed or something? I switched off of TOTW a while ago when this whole thing got started becuase it made me nervous and I had the same stinky bag problem that jocoyn had. Can anyone clarify about the difference between raw chicken and kibble with salmonella?

Also, GatorDog, is your friend in touch with Diamond? They should probably be informed that there is now at least one case of salmonella that could have come from their recall.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Also, GatorDog, is your friend in touch with Diamond? They should probably be informed that there is now at least one case of salmonella that could have come from their recall.
She will be after this evening. Getting the paperwork from vet and date codes from the bags and sending it all in. The store that she bought the bag didn't even have any bags with the "effected" date codes. This bag was supposed to be safe..

·
Registered
866 Posts
And yet it is my raw diet that is going to kill my dog from salmonella poisoning...

Odd that none of the meat I buy has ever been subject to a salmonella recall that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Yeah I'm a little confused how we can feed our dogs raw meat and never have an issue but when a kibble has salmonella it's scary? I'm far from an expert but does it change at all after it's processed or something? I switched off of TOTW a while ago when this whole thing got started becuase it made me nervous and I had the same stinky bag problem that jocoyn had. Can anyone clarify about the difference between raw chicken and kibble with salmonella?

when you expose the little salmonella bacteria to the high pressure and temperatures of the extrusion process, it turns little salmonellas into super-salmonellas, able to survive super high temperatures, run through high pressures, and leap from dog bowl to butt to humans in a single bound.

I know its not funny when I am deathly afraid for my girls and my baby puppies.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's another story I just found:

Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in US
By JEFFREY COLLINS and HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that made headlines years ago when it produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.
At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.
"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.
Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.
"Our folks are really wanting people to be aware of it. They want to be aware that this is causing people to get sick because they may have product in their homes. For every one that is reported, there may be 29 others," Russell said.
People can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food, health officials said.
The South Carolina plant temporarily was shut down April 8. Diamond Pet Foods has issued four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant, located outside of Columbia, S.C., between Dec. 9 and April 7. The latest recalls were announced Friday.
"We took corrective actions at the plant, and today the plant is up and running. Our mission is to produce safe pet foods for our customers and their pets in all Diamond facilities," the company said in a written statement Friday.
In 2005, a toxic mold called aflatoxin ended up in food made at the same Diamond Pet Foods plant in South Carolina and dozens of dogs died. The company offered a $3.1 million settlement. The Food and Drug Administration determined the deadly fungus likely got into the plant when it failed to test 12 shipments of corn.
FDA officials were not immediately available for comment Friday on the most recent problems with the plant.
Agriculture officials in Michigan found the strain of salmonella during routine testing of dog food on April 2 and health investigators noticed there was a possible link to the food made by Diamond Pet Foods. An ill person still had some of the food, and authorities were able to link the cases to the food, the CDC said.
The recall covers a number of pet food brands made at the Gaston plant, including Canidae, Natural Balance, Apex, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health and Taste of the Wild.
---
Hollingsworth reported from Kansas City, Mo.

Salmonella in dog food sickens 14 people in US
By JEFFREY COLLINS and HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Fourteen people in at least nine states have been sickened by salmonella after handling tainted dog food from a South Carolina plant that made headlines years ago when it produced food contaminated by toxic mold that killed dozens of dogs, federal officials said Friday.
At least five people were hospitalized because of the dog food, which was made by Diamond Pet Foods at its plant in Gaston, S.C., the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No pets were sickened, according to the Meta, Mo.-based company.
"People who became ill, the thing that was common among them was that they had fed their pets Diamond Pet Foods," said CDC spokeswoman Lola Russell.
Three people each were infected in Missouri and North Carolina; two people in Ohio; and one person each in Alabama, Connecticut, Michigan, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia, the CDC said.
"Our folks are really wanting people to be aware of it. They want to be aware that this is causing people to get sick because they may have product in their homes. For every one that is reported, there may be 29 others," Russell said.
People can get salmonella by handling infected dog food, then not washing their hands before eating or handling their own food, health officials said.
The South Carolina plant temporarily was shut down April 8. Diamond Pet Foods has issued four rounds of recalls for food made at the plant, located outside of Columbia, S.C., between Dec. 9 and April 7. The latest recalls were announced Friday.
"We took corrective actions at the plant, and today the plant is up and running. Our mission is to produce safe pet foods for our customers and their pets in all Diamond facilities," the company said in a written statement Friday.
In 2005, a toxic mold called aflatoxin ended up in food made at the same Diamond Pet Foods plant in South Carolina and dozens of dogs died. The company offered a $3.1 million settlement. The Food and Drug Administration determined the deadly fungus likely got into the plant when it failed to test 12 shipments of corn.
FDA officials were not immediately available for comment Friday on the most recent problems with the plant.
Agriculture officials in Michigan found the strain of salmonella during routine testing of dog food on April 2 and health investigators noticed there was a possible link to the food made by Diamond Pet Foods. An ill person still had some of the food, and authorities were able to link the cases to the food, the CDC said.
The recall covers a number of pet food brands made at the Gaston plant, including Canidae, Natural Balance, Apex, Kirkland, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Premium Edge, Professional, 4Health and Taste of the Wild.
---
Hollingsworth reported from Kansas City, Mo.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
And yet it is my raw diet that is going to kill my dog from salmonella poisoning...

Odd that none of the meat I buy has ever been subject to a salmonella recall that I'm aware of.
Salmonella is pretty much to be expected in raw chicken. That is why you do things like bleach your countertops after handling it. Most healthy dogs can handle it just fine. We usually cannot. Weak dogs cannot.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts