German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research, I am switching my dogs over to TOTW. I need to do so for several reasons but the main reason is my EPI girl needs the grain free. Also, Hansel just doesn't like the Kirkland chicken. I would even go so far as to say he hates it.

Anyway, I am driving to Tractor Supply tomorrow to stock up since it is a long drive. I know they have several different types and wanted some feedback as to what your GSD prefers. Yea, I know, they're as different as you and me when it comes to what they like but figured maybe one variety is like the pizza of dog food. Everybody likes pizza, right?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think Wetlands and High Prairie have the highest protein and fat content, and the newer Sierra is lower calorie and protein.

Mine like High Prairie and Wetlands, we haven't tried any of the other varieties, though! I think it's one of the best grain-free foods you can get for the price, and you feed very little- my younger one is on 2 cups/day, the older on 3 cups/day.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Huh.....I guess I was wrong. According to dogfoodanalysis and the TOTW website all their formulas are grain free. I could have sworn someone on here said one or two of the formulas had some grains in it? Oh well, good luck

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
For an EPI dog, you might want to go with what has the lowest fat content. High fat foods can often aggrevate the tummies of EPI dogs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sam gets the Wetlands formula and he does great on it and loves it. When Sophie gets a little older I'll probably switch her over too. I know she likes the taste because she loves to snitch some out of his bowl every chance she gets.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Pacific stream is what I have Otto on for now. But I switch it up some times with Wetlands. I feed raw diet in the PM too. Works great for him! Good luck! :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh LOVES the High Prairie--in a taste test between Orijen and TOTW, he preferred the TOTW paws down! While I'm using up the last of the Orijen I have to give him the TOTW for dessert. Check on Tractor Supply's website for coupons and if you're military you get a 10% discount.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Tractor Supply and picked up few bags of Salmon, the High Prairie, and Wetlands. I figured they wouldn't mind a change every few weeks. $39.99 for 30 pounds is about the best price I have seen for grain free.

I could spend hours in Tractor Supply. What a neat store.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I wish I didn't have to drive so far to Tractor Supply... I need Muck Boots for tracking!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went to Tractor Supply and picked up few bags of Salmon, the High Prairie, and Wetlands. I figured they wouldn't mind a change every few weeks. $39.99 for 30 pounds is about the best price I have seen for grain free.

I could spend hours in Tractor Supply. What a neat store.
Had to "lol" at that - one of my daughter and I's favorite store is TSC. Might have something to do with my having worked in farmstores for years. My husband cringes any time I mention we will be stopping in there just thinking of what we might "just have to have" this time around. We are lucky in that we have several farm stores in this area, so we have plenty to shop from.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I feed Shenzi the Pacific Stream. Tried the High Prairie version, and even after my stupidity(Read you don't have to transition, just feed and go. Should have looked into that) we fought with runny/diarrhea for poop the whole 30 pound bag that lasts about 5-6 weeks. Think I'll stick with this one. No more experiments for the troubled tummy. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kristi, if you want Muck Boots and TOTW in one stop try Sterling Meadows Tack Shop and Kennel on Indian River Road (in VA Beach). I'm pretty sure they carry the Muck Boot line and I KNOW they have TOTW... I was driving all the way down there from Hampton for the cat food before I found it at Care-A-Lot in Newport News.

·
Registered
174 Posts
FYI.. there's a recent thread here about great deals on TOTW from petcarerx.com. I just ordered a large bag for $30 and change, shipped for free!

My dog also has EPI (and diabetes) so I am trying TOTW too. Right now she's doing ok on Solid Gold Wolf Cub, but I think she may do better without so much carbs. Good luck with the switch! Keep me posted on how your dog does.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hm... I dunno that I will stick with TOTW... just saying lol for that price I def. Would. I really like the Canidae grain-free, but it's only sold at ONE store around here, but the website with the good savings has it also.. and it comes our to... around 33.50 per bag... still cheaper than what I pay locally for everything! Also, I will check that tack shop, i need boots for Schutzhund Tracking!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just order them online!

I would, but I like to put them on, and since I would have to lay long tracks and be in them summer and winter and wet, and etc everything in between, I would like to know they are comfortable, and all shows fit different!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts