German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, we switched our dogs from Nutro to TOTW Wetlands formula. Gunnar was having some ear problems and a lot of paw licking. They've also gotten plain yogurt. When we made the food switch, we also added a probiotic powder.
They ears and paw licking cleared up really quickly.

The last week, the ear and paw licking problem is back.
We're using triple antibiotic on his paws (some redness/irritation) and that's working fine to clear it up. We rinse his ears every night and that seems to be getting better.

I'm wondering if a different variety of TOTW would help?

The only changes have been the food and the addition of the probiotic powder. We're also considering cutting out the probiotic just to see if that makes a difference. I can't imagine that it would, but I'm willing to try.

We went to TOTW because of the cost and that I've read good things on this site about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Can you remember what was in the food you were using before you switched to TOTW? I'd look for those ingredients online and see if the TOTW you're using now has some of the same ones. (chicken, fowl etc.)

Changing to a different one could help, can't help to try. Which one are you using? We use the High Praire - Bison and Venison.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're using the wetlands formula now.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never been through this before. We're going to try the Sierra Mountain since that has no chicken meal in it.
Figures............we just ordered 90 lbs of Wetlands formula.......lol.

At least Cass can eat anything with no problems. We won't have to buy food for her for a long time.
I guess were going to TSC later and getting more food.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ellie used to do that when we fed her food with chicken in it. I have found that sticking to a fish based food really helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ellie used to do that when we fed her food with chicken in it. I have found that sticking to a fish based food really helps. Good luck!
The fish formula is next

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I feed TOTW Pacific Stream to my boy that has confirmed food allergies. If this continues with the ears ann itchies do yourself and your dog a favor and ask your vet for a referral to a derm vet and do some allergy testing. It may not be food at all.

My guy was 2 1/2 before I finally went to the derm vet in frustataion. Havoc is allergic to a lot of environmental things as well as some food. Dairy sets Havoc off so I had to quit yogurt and cheese. Your guy may have a dairy problem to if you are feeding yogurt it could be the culprit. You won;t know until you either test or do a food elimination trial.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Personally, I would try the new formula, Sierra Mountain. It only uses 1 protein source (lamb), which should make an elimination diet for allergies easier.

That said, the Pacific Stream isn't a BAD choice. Though it does use multiple fish meat sources (and again, for an elimination diet, the simpler the better).

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh doesn't tolerate chicken well, so we've been using the High Prairie but I just got a bag of the new formula to try. TOTW gives a 100% money back guarantee and the store you bought if from may provide one too so you can return the bag if you need to

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I use the TOTW Pacific Stream and have now problems. However when I use a beef, venison, or buffolo alone Otto get bad gas when it comes to kibble. Now when I use it raw it isn't a problem when I buy the pre mixed. So I use the TOTW Pacific Stream and Raw in the PM. I buy pre made meat from my trainer who gets the perfect mix of organs meats and bone from a local butcher. I haven't had any problems with this. Its all about finding what best works for your dog. Some times this takes time to figure out. Good luck and keep asking questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts