German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeding TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula for months now, and just brought my 3 to the vets for their checkups. The results are in, and I'm not too thrilled at what's happening. Dima, who we've had for almost 3 months now was 52# a month or so ago was down to 49#. She's had a bit of problems with some loose poops, but those have finally tightened up...
Seems her system isn't too happy with fish based treats. Eko was 75# last year, and 73# this year. Mollie was 55#, and 52#.

We are active here, and until April 12th, snowshoed every day for an hour or so. Our distances weren't that great at times, but it was as good workout. We're now on the road and trails, and do 3-5 miles/day. Dima's also doing drive building work, and we go to training on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

According to their website (TOTW), Eko should be getting 3-3 3/4 cups/day, and Dima 3 - 3 3/4 cups per day.

Eko's getting 5 cups or so per day, and Dima about the same. I had started with their recommended amounts, and went up bit by bit each week or so when they looked like they were losing weight.

All dogs checked out fine at the vets, but he did mention that they were a bit on the light side.

So.......... I picked up a bag of Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula Holistic Puppy/Adult Dog Food for Dima, and some samples of Natures Variety Instinct Chicken for Eko to try.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
greg,

i feed the TOTW fish formula, i am only feeding 1 1/2 cups twice a day for toby (senior) and 2 cups twice a day for Neka 2 1/2 more active.
the weight has been steady, no problems. i do keep them on the thinner side anyway, but i haven't noticed any drop in weight, etc. no diarrhea or soft stools.

how is eko and molly doing on it besides the weight drop? maybe Dima has a sesitive stomach, and may need a food change and or adding a digestive enzyme? the canine complete has that in it, or you could add just an enzyme product or a probiotic.

i don't know anyone who uses pinnicle, but i am sure Kandi can tell you how hers are doing on it.

debbie

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Debbie,

I did check with Kandi, and she's feeding the Pinnacle Chix/Oats food mainly. She said they're all doing fine on it, so that's one reason I'm going to Pinnacle to see if I can straighten out Dima's tummy and get some weight back on her.

Eko and Molly are doing fine, although Eko's poops have tended to be a bit on the loose side recently. Molly eats anything, and it does not, nor has it ever affected her. I'm thinking possibly that the loose poops might be partially the result of how much food they're eating. Heard once that if you feed them lots of food, the poops might get a bit on the loose side.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts