German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

5,633 Posts
Using a raised feeder is bad? I thought using one aided the passage of food down their esophagus, or to swallow less air when they swallowed, or something ...
You'll hear it both ways. Some think it's bad, some think it's good. In reality, I don't think that the feeder is going to cause or prevent bloat on it's own, it's more about the whole picture.

· Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree with gsdraven. I've always used them. I had great danes for years, no bloat. I had english mastiffs for years, no bloat. My one and only bloat was with a gsd who had a leg amputated. I still believe the hopping around on 3 legs had something to do with it. I still used raised feeders.

· Registered
396 Posts
They might be of the logic that a raised feeder would cause the dog to eat faster, swallow quicker ... allowing the food to be right there at their face, where as a dog in the wild would be eating off the ground, or picking off an animal. *ponder*

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.