German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!
I'm hoping you can help me out. Shenzi is having a really hard time on Royal Canin. Loose stools, pyroderma outbreak, allergies, gah!
So, my battle plan, is the following. Bathe 1-2 times a week with medicated shampoo, use penaten creme on the affected areas, take the carpet out of her crate-give her a washable dog bed and change her food.
I'm really impressed with TOTW and Before Grain. I think the only reason blue buffalo is on my list is because someone told me their GSD did well on it. I would prefer using a fish based recipe, but am open to suggestions.
Heres what I'm working with:
Shenzi gets red eyes if shes outside too long
Shenzi has pyroderma on her lower belly
Not happy with the way her coat looks
Loose stools

Links:
Before Grain
Blue Buffalo — Discover the Best Dog Food and Cat Foods with our Pet Food Comparison Tools
Taste of the Wild : Home

I think I am still leaning towards TOTW...

:help:

Edit: I give her a raw egg 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I vote TOTW

Rated 6 out of 6 stars

Love the ingredients, I feed both of my dogs this kibble. :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I feed Otto TOTW in the AM and RAW meal in the evening. My dog loves it!!!! I highly recommend you try TOTW or even raw..... :) Otto get two eggs a week

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I think I would consider allergy testing Shenzi first. Her red eyes adn itchies may be environmental allergies and diet will do nothing for that.

My Havoc has environmental allergies as well as some food sensitivities. He was tested and we now give him an allergy shot every weekand we did a food elimination trial with him.

To do food elimination chose one limited ingredient protein and carbohydrate source food that you are certain she does well on. I used Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Feed that and ONLY that for 10 to 12 weeks. Then list all the proteins you think she may have trouble with and trial them one at a time for 10 days each. If you see a reaction like licking and chewing feet, ore than usual scratching STOP the food, put it on the list of 'cannot haves' and go back to just the limited ingredient food for one week, and then try the next protein on the list.

The derm vet had us add the new protein to the Duck and Potato in small amounts. Example. Beef trial - prepare the Duck and Potato and add 1/4 cup or a few tablespoons of raw or cooked hamburger, steak or whatever form of fresh beef (not another kind of kibble or dog food with beef) to the Duck and Potato.

After you have been through all the foods you can begin to see a pattern and figure out what sets her off.

With Havoc I knew he could eat Duck, so we trialed chicken and eggs but not turkey. I concluded that if he can eat duck, chicken and eggs he could probably handle turkey as it is in the same class of food - poultry.

A food trial is very lengthy. It took us 4 months to get through it is very worth the effort.

I would really encourage an appointment with a derm vet for allergy testing. Havoc is like a new dog, it was that benefial for him.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I switch quarterly between BBW and BG. Who wants to eat the same thing day in and day out? They get a Nature's Variety raw medallion every day as a treat.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
On your original ??? Now that Havoc is through the food trial I am switching him to TOTW Pacific Stream. Is it readily available in my small town so if I run low I don't have to drive all the way to Tulsa, 90 miles one way, for food.

He has eaten it before we did the testing and trial and I believe he did okay on it. I went through so many foods with him looking for a way to stop the itchies and in the long run if I done the allergy testing sooner it may have elimanated the problems he had much earlier. I was convinced his issues were just food related and I was wrong, it was a combination of food and environment.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I feed Blue Buffalo, does excellent on it. His coat is very nice and shiny, poops are very solid. Good luck with your decision :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Remember, there is a grain free Blue Buffalo. I feed Jolene and Mickey Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural which is grain free.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Powell do you like the Earthborn?? I can get theat here in litttle podunk McAlester too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Various owners love how their pups who are already full grown do on TOTW, great quality grain free.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I use Nature's Variety, another 6 star grain free but I'm thinking about switching to TOTW because of price and availability. Stosh never seemed too crazy about NV so we'll see how he likes TOTW. You might want to go with it, too, several people have mentioned Blue Buffalo being too rich for their dogs, especially young ones

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
personally, i dont see TOTW as being comparable to many other grain free foods. two of their formulas are very low protein for a grainless food, making me very skeptical that there is much meat content in them, and all the formulas have an awfully low calorie count in comparison to most grainless foods.

id choose BB Wilderness over TOTW if i were choosing between them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a dog who has red eyes too, I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is causing it. He also is sensitive and gets an upset tummy easily and has a poor coat.

I have tried BB. I like the way they preserve the nutrients in the food, and they have good ingredients. BB gave my lab soft poop for about 2 months and I didn't notice a huge difference in his appearance. I did notice an increase in his shedding which I found odd..in the middle of Feb!

I am now feeding him TOTW. He switched over to that fairly easily with very minimal poop issues. I am still in the process of the full switch, but I have not had any problems so far and Im so excited about that! No word yet on a change in his coat.

Plus for a grain free food, it's at a great price!

I vote TOTW!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I vote TOTW

Rated 6 out of 6 stars

Love the ingredients, I feed both of my dogs this kibble. :)
:thumbup: what she said! My puppers are on TOTW Pacific Stream. Awesome! My Molly also had grain allergies, Gus had ear infections, Tommie Girl had to be convinced to eat and their coats looked beyond blah... Now... gorgeous coat, itch free dogs and firm & fewer stools. And, boy, do they love the taste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.