German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This video was taken back in August, so we've worked on a couple things since then - sit in motion, more focus for a longer period of time, etc.)

What do you think? Are we ready for our BH yet?

Tosca's 5 month heeling video; for comparison:

·
Registered
740 Posts
She looks really, really good! Clearly very motivated and willing, with very nice focus.

Have you been able to accomplish all this by just shaping behaviors with a reward or have you had to use correction at all? Is there a reason you don't ever have a leash on her?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Both!! We still have a couple things to work on before the BH, but after they're accomplished we are on our way to our very first title! :D

BritneyP - Yes. :) To teach all the commands you see in the video (plus the recall) I used strictly positive methods with treats and tons of praise, then I progressed to her favorite toy - the ball.

For every day things like the heel on the walk or a wait (sit and wait for a release command) I have used a prong correction when she ignored me (she knows the commands - I made sure of that before I ever put the prong on her, and when I do remind her to heel/sit with the prong I only have to do it once), but I never used the prong with her for her more formal training. And I never plan to, as she has always been VERY responsive to positive methods. :) The reason I need the prong for her on walks is because I usually take two or more dogs with me and sometimes (especially in the cooler weather) they can lose their heads. :rolleyes:

The reason for her not having a leash on is because I prefer to train off-leash, mainly so I won't have to depend on a lead for her to stay near me/listen to the commands. She does all of these commands on-lead as well, but I like to have the obedience solid off-lead first. Just a personal preference. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts