German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn. Let me explain. I was offered a position (as a substitute) at my local training place. It's great as I can bring my dog, use the equipment to train, and learn more of how to train. Today was my first day. My dog is crate trained, but he's a 7mo old GSD so he also requires a lot of mental and physical stimulation. I went in for an 8 hour day ( it would normally be 11 hours) and he was crated for all but maybe an hour. I took him out for a play group, but he would rather play with me, so didn't do too much running around. I felt torn because on one hand, he's my pup so I want what's best for him but the other peoples dogs are paying me to train/play with them so I felt guilty when I was working with him alone. Since he got so little time out of the crate, he spent a lot of the day whining. Although I normally am home, he spends 5-6 hours in his crate per day but broken up into two different times. And he gets lots of walks and fetch and swimming in between so he's usually tired and ready for a nap.

I'm going to go in later in the week and see if he acts any better, but based on today, do you think that he will eventually understand that he has to settle there and will even if I'm working with another dog? Or should I decline the position? I don't need the job and it would be sporadic work. I think part of the problem is when we go there, he usually gets me and him time since its where we train and was not too happy about being stuck in his crate.

I don't want to baby him but I also don't want to not provide him with what he needs. If it's an 11 hour day, plus a commute, there won't be much time outside of that to work him/ wear him out before or after.

Sorry for such a lengthy post. If you'be made it this far, thank you!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Opportunity?

I am not sure if this will work in this case, but it may be worth a try. If it sounds silly to you, just ignore it. In my years of military and civilian work, I have found that if you approach the situation from another perspective, you may find a solution. Look at this as an opportunity to train the pup. In life we don't always get what we want, and must learn to deal with it. This may be the opportunity to teach that. If it is sporadic, and not to often, would it really be a bad thing for the pup to deal with? He will still be with you. He will be learning that not all of your time is devoted to him alone. He will be watching and although whining some, will not be bored completely. The time he does get with you on these days will be all the more valued.
As I say, feel free to ignore this advice. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
He'll be fine. Many, many people have to crate their 6-7 month old dog during the day while they are at work. Dogs end up just fine.

Of course he will whine, this is something new for him.

And congrats on the position!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Do they offer a daycare or something along those lines? Reason I ask is my kennel does and all the employee's let there dogs play all day long (supervised of course) Well all except for the owners Dutch Shepherd.
Could you do that?

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
Can use him as your demo dog?
If even for a few minutes during the class, maybe it will help break up the crate time and you'll be getting in a short training session.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I am not sure if this will work in this case, but it may be worth a try. If it sounds silly to you, just ignore it. In my years of military and civilian work, I have found that if you approach the situation from another perspective, you may find a solution. Look at this as an opportunity to train the pup. In life we don't always get what we want, and must learn to deal with it. This may be the opportunity to teach that. If it is sporadic, and not to often, would it really be a bad thing for the pup to deal with? He will still be with you. He will be learning that not all of your time is devoted to him alone. He will be watching and although whining some, will not be bored completely. The time he does get with you on these days will be all the more valued.

Dang! You're one smart dude!!!! 100% agree!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do they offer a daycare or something along those lines? Reason I ask is my kennel does and all the employee's let there dogs play all day long (supervised of course) Well all except for the owners Dutch Shepherd.
Could you do that?
They do, but the dogs don't run and play all day. The space is limited so if there is a class going on, the dogs get crated to rest, walk the treadmill, potty break, etc.

Castle maid, I totally understand that people do it all the time. It was just parental guilt having to be there hearing the whining lol. If I had left and not heard that, I wouldnt feel as bad.

I still have to find out what 'sporadic' means to them, but I totally agree that this could be a good way to train some patience. And DWP, you're right, when I started working with him on agility stuff, he was so focused on me and ready to work.

Like I said' I'm coming back tomorrow and seeing how it goes. Maybe now that he knows that he gets one on one time at the end of the day, he'll settle a little better the rest of the time. I do feel fortunate that I can bring him, and they will work with my schedule restrictions, so I hope he gets used to it soon.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I kind of knew he just needed time to get used to it, but the whining! Tears your heart out. Lol

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
What about frozen Kongs or other treats that will keep him entertained for half a hour or so? He'll eventually get used to being crated there and staying quiet

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

Brilliant advice!!! We are kind of doing this at home and it's working out great. Finn gets put in his kennel and we work Abi. He whines for a bit, but he calms down after a while. When we're done, he gets a short OB lesson and then tennis ball time. We love it, they love it, and we couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I went in 3 days this week. I'm not sure I'm cut out for it. Fleury's whining has gotten a little better (not much, but a little) but I don't have the same enthusiasm working other dogs as I do my own. During the time I'm there, I should be working with those dogs and teaching them, but I don't have even close to the same motivation that I do with my own dog. Better handler than trainer maybe? And since I've spent so much of my day working other dogs, I'm so tired I don't feel like working my own as much. Boo. Will sleep on it and figure out next moves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts