German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i came home and my boy Lobo couldn't even walk to me and I looked at his paws and he tore all 4 of his pads thanks to my room mate who was letting him chase him down an sharp asphalt road .. please what should be my first step and how do i take him to go potty when my whole backyard is gravel and dirt.. please help with ideas and suggestions. I'm currently just staying by his side until the stores open so I can get him bandages and antibiotics

·
Registered
62 Posts
Personally I'd clean them with hibi-scrub and water,dry them off as best as you can and then take him to the vets if it's so bad he can't walk.
Do you know the type and dose of anti-biotics to give?
Are you sure bandaging his feet is a good idea?

I've had it before in my lurchers,and just keeping them clean and letting the air get to them done the trick,but it was never as bad as yours sounds.

·
Super Moderator
7,960 Posts
If bandages help keep him mobile then that’s fine - they will need to be kept 100% dry and changed daily the first couple of days in order to clean and check for sensitivity - goal being that the bandages come off as soon as he’s comfortable walking (before they are completely healed). Ultimately they need air and they need to be able to toughen up again. Also make sure that the feet are dry before re bandaging.

If the cuts are deep, he may need sutures... if they are just worn down or seared, you can most likely treat at home.

Rest will be the best thing for him tho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts