German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright some of u may remember me freaking out about tyson limping. well after a bunch of trial and errors we finally did x-rays and it was deteremined that it is a muscle pull. i was talking to a tech at the vet who also has a GSD and her boy was going through the same problem (her boy is only a few months older than tyson) and apparently he had to be on bed rest for 4 months! well its been about 3-4 months since i first noticed the limping after he had been playing with another pup. he still limps, some days its a slight limp and others it may be a little worse depending on the amount of time he had been on it. i've been trying to search the internet but i cant seem to ask the right question to get the answer i need so if any of u could help me out on how long this may last it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Well is it torn or sprained? When Gracie sprained her cruciate, she did 15 days of rimadly and 3 -4 full weeks of rest. By rest that means NO jumping, not even to get on the couch, not into or out of the car, not for balls or frisbees. NO stairs. NO type of work or training (other than mind games to tire him out). A lot of time in the crate with mind games (like a frozen kong). LEASH walk only for pee and poo breaks. After 2 weeks I started walking her 4 houses down and back. It was a very difficult time but she has healed so it was worth it....and I now have a very well behaved dog on a leash (finally).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its either a sprain or a torn muscle...OCD, pano, and displasia have been ruled out. he has gotten better with his limping also so i let him out in the yard without a leash and i we take short walks. when we are done he goes back into the crate just to keep anything from straining.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Kelso at about 20 months all the sudden had a limp, we went to the vet and he said he must have sprained something..the vet ultimately called it tendontits and we rested him for 1-2 wks with some NSAIDS and he has been great since!

I think he probably just overused or twisted something like we do. He is now back in full force

hope your dog feels better soon!

·
Registered
340 Posts
When my Heidi was 6 months old, she improperly introduced to a rowdy dane mix. The other puppy scared the bejeebers out of Heidi and was running away from her with the dane chasing her (fun game for the dane). She slid on a spot and ran into a trailer. She had a limp that wouldn't go away so took her in for an exray. Tendonitis was her prognosis too. Vet had her on rest for 6 weeks!! Virtually impossible for a pup. But, we were allowed leash walks (forward motion ok); and did lots of mental stimulation to keep her from going stir crazy. It was the running and jumping around twisting like a crazy fool that we needed to hinder so she could heal.

Seemed like forever, but she did heal and haven't had any problems with it since (she's 19 months old now).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts