German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently feed my dog raw but i am strongly thinking about switching to a good high quality kibble. The main reason is life can get in the way sometimes and it can be really hard for me to make sure his diet is perfect so i need some suggestions. I love the advantages of raw, 95% less shedding, clean teeth/breath, lower risk of bloat, etc. My question is if i get a high quality grain free kibble can i still get all these effects that im looking for. Also can i throw chunks of meat in there for him and some pumpkin/yogurt whenever and maybe a egg here and there? I am a very orgainized (i blame the military lol) and would also like some suggestions on in the morning i can put this in there and at night put that in there and what kind of supplements can i use and how many times a day/week to use them like for ex fish oil. Im sorry if this is a lot but thanks in advance for answering.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
we used to feed just raw but have recently changed to feeding kibble as well. You don't necessarily have to do one or the other...we do both. Sometimes our dogs will get all raw one day, the next maybe just kibble, most of the time we do a kibble meal (we have done orijen, wellness core, innova EVO, merrick) and then some wings or a chicken quarter for the evening meal, ect.

Wether or not we are feeding raw or kibble they always get a multivitamin each day as well as salmon oil and vit E. Also a raw egg 2-3 times a week. Currently they are also getting Cosequin, which is still a debated thing apparently for young dogs or dogs without symptoms. http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post721639

The variety has worked for us. I do not know if is is the time of year/other things..but I do believe that our dogs were shedding less on total raw, but that is anecdotal. Their poops are also less on total raw, or so it seems.

My favorite food to have them on, in my opinion, was Urban Wolf....
http://www.urbanwolf.cc/
It is a sand like mix that you combine with muscle meat only..but it is expensive which is why we started trying other things

These recent threads might also help you as well

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=716862&page=2#Post716862

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718303&page=1#Post718303

Have fun and good luck with what works for you and your dog
Variety is the Spice of Life!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
As long as you are very careful with feeding bones, it is possible to combine the two (raw and kibble). Just don't forget that the proper digestion of bones in the dogs stomach can get less when feeding kibble. Keep a good eye on this ( feed no weight-carrying bones! so, no legs, knees, backbones, etc, and only necks or ribs of young animals).

However, as raw and kibble are digested in different ways, never mix them together. Feed kibble in the morning and raw in the evening (or the other way around) and see how it works for your dog.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I feed raw and grain free kibble together. There have been no problems, digestive, tummy etc. I've been doing this for about 2 months and boths dogs love it. Due to some traveling and scheduling problems, I can't switch over to raw completely.

I supplement with SynoviG3, Salmon Oil, K9-RX (or Missing Link)
Also add eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese etc during the week.
Both dogs love the food and seem to be doing great. IMHO!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feed Orijen Six Fish in the morning and Honest Kitchen Force with some lightly cooked meat and cottage cheese mixed in at night. Seems to be working for Lilly. She used to throw up yellow bile several times a week. She has never thrown up since we started her on this diet and her coat is gleaming. Stools are easy to clean up too and no smelly gas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the advice guys. i guess what i meant to say was raw vs kibble lol. I wouldnt want to feed both and due to schedule and meat prices i need to think about alternates.

What would be a good food to start with when going to kibble. how about can food or should i just stick straight kibble. can i put eggs in his food pumpkin yougurt throught the week? Should i put fish oil in everyday? how does that work?

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the Orijen I add a sardine with breakfast, or an egg or cottage cheese, yogurt. Never caused any problems. I like the Orijen because it is grain free and my dog loves it. Her coat gleams.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what if they dont have orijen at my petsmart? what would be another good grain free to start with that will make the tranisiton easier? only grain free. im lookin to go full kibble

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i can't think of any grain free food that petsmart carries- do they carry taste of the wild? if you don't have a local petstore that carries higher quality brands- you can find many online from either their websites or from petfooddirect.com- sign up with your e-mail address to receive coupons for various percentages off- which usually cover shipping and handling.

·
2,967 Posts
You may have to try different stores to find a grain-free.

The only one I can think of off hand that I "think" is grain free at PetsMart is the Blue Buffalo Wilderness diet. It's in a shiny blue bag with a Wolf on the front, and doesn't look much like the other Blue Buffalo bags. I am not sure how it rates compared to other dog foods, but it's a 6 star food on DogFoodAnalysis.com

You may have more luck at PetCo if there's one nearby, because they carry Natural Balance (some of the allergy formulas are grain free) and Solid Gold, and I believe the Barking at the Moon variety is Grain free there.

For the vast majority of grain-free dog foods (Innova Evo, Orijen, etc.) I have to go to the local holistic pet store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts