German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year or so, we have been putting a meat flavored supplement called Nupro on our dogs' food. We started it because Loki and Heidi were so picky about eating and they liked it. They all like it, but we have found something they like better. My husband hunts and we always have numerous packages of ground venison in the freezer. We fry and crumble it, put it in the frig and top the dogs' food with a tablespoon of it. They tear into their food like there's no tomorrow and I think it is good for them too!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
It is good for them! A lot of people will probably say why not give it to them raw. I don't know which way I would give it to them.

A friend of mine hunts and is going to be giving me some venison steaks which I am going to try to grind down, mulch, whatever to use to make dog treats. Also my son has instructions to save what he does not use/keep, so I can use it for treat making.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Our pups have always eaten either raw or cooked venison.. moose too. Nothing wrong with it and it is much leaner.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I realize this is an old thread. But I have been searching for a topper for my pup, and found this thread. I no longer hunt, nor have access to such meat, so the question is what topper for a 4 mo old puppy do people currently recommend.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Why do you need a topper??? Dog Food is complete and balanced. When you add in, it becomes out of balance nutritionally and adds extra calories, as well as teaching your do got become picky.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Why do you need a topper??? Dog Food is complete and balanced. When you add in, it becomes out of balance nutritionally and adds extra calories, as well as teaching your do got become picky.
The pup is already a picky eater. I have never heard that adding a topper takes out of balance the puppy food and adds calories; that's interesting. Going to look more into that. I've got quite a bit of the puppy kibble, and if I can find something that is nutritious and will help him eat the puppy food, I figured that as a win/win.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd switch to Adult Food. Puppy Food is high in protein and promotes fast growth, often leading to issues with Pano (aka growing pains). Adult food promotes slow, steady growth and they will still reach their genetic maturity size. All my puppies are switched to Adult food by 8 weeks of age and on adult food when going to their new homes.

Reactions: Cadfael

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd switch to Adult Food. Puppy Food is high in protein and promotes fast growth, often leading to issues with Pano (aka growing pains). Adult food promotes slow, steady growth and they will still reach their genetic maturity size. All my puppies are switched to Adult food by 8 weeks of age and on adult food when going to their new homes.
Our vet said puppies should be on puppy food to at least one year of age.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Most vet's have a required one semester class on animal nutrition, which covers all species of animals, so maybe one week on canines, so maybe 3-5 hours about dog nutrition.... Unless they specialized in Canine Nutrition, but highly doubtful...

Reactions: Gwyllgi
1 - 12 of 12 Posts