German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been on oral Bravecto. It works for fleas and ticks, but gives him a terrible blisters skin condition, so I’m not going to use it anymore. The vet thinks we should switch to topical Bravecto as it only needs to be applied every three months. They think he’s allergic to something in the oral med other than the active ingredient. I’m not sure. The drug company refused to give out ingredient information on their chewable so it’s impossible to know what it might be. It’s made from pork liver and that is all I could get out of them. So, now I don’t know what to do. If I get the topical, the vet doesn’t sell it so I have to get it on my own.

They also suggested Nexgard oral tablets. I researched and found many complaints that it caused seizures in dogs. Mine hates Advantage, or anything applied to his back, plus it doesn’t work on ticks and for a while didn’t work on fleas either.

Flea collars are out because he scratches at collars and I don’t want to stress him by adding another one.

Two questions. Has anyone used Bravecto topical flea medication? If not that, does anyone have suggestions about what I could do? The vet said it’s my decision and is not giving further inputs.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In desperation I bought this for Punk.

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/product/totally-outdoor-pet-spray/

It is amazing. I am getting eaten alive and nothing even touches her. No ants, flies, fleas, ticks. Nada. We have been camping in the bush in Northern Ontario and they don't even land on her.
He doesn’t like sprays either. It all goes back to poor early vet handling and vet phobia. I got him past fear of the vet but not wet things. Ear wash is the worst.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Monthly. I...just...cant....

You want to come over and put it on him? He dances when I try to apply it.
Okay, but in exchange you have to come over and do the big boy's nails and I'll even let you use a muzzle and duct tape! :grin2:

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Wonderficide is a spray also. They have Essential oils like lemon grass wards off bugs. All the sprays mentioned you can spray on a rag and wipe them down. Advantix works I know I don’t like to use it. In the winter I give them a break and Max got Lymes disease so they are better off with it. I can not take a chance if I miss a daily application especially tick season.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was using the Bravecto chewable for my 2 GSD puppies (5mth/6mth) but they still scratch, especially my long hair. I was going to switch to K9 Advantix II which also kills mosquitos which is an issue where I live during the summer. I have been touching/brushing my dogs since day one though so they will stay put long enough for me to put it on monthly as long as there is a treat involved in the end :) I am looking into your spray though Sabis mom.

·
Registered
547 Posts
For what it's worth, we use Nexgard and have had no problems with it. No scratching or seizures or anything particularly, obviously negative.

I've heard people like to use a garlic supplement (in proper doses, it's fine for large dogs and not poisonous). The garlic will seep out into the oils in the dog's coat and skin, and the smell/taste deters ticks and fleas. Bloodsucker bugs really don't like garlic.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I use Bravecto and never had any issues. Never had a tick, flea yet knock on wood. I also use Wondercide and spray the patio and we use it on us. The thing about the topicals is it knocks the ticks off but does not kill which means if your dog comes inside with a tick fleas it will be in your house alive and get on you. Gross!!!! The same for the flea and tick collars.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I was using the Bravecto chewable for my 2 GSD puppies (5mth/6mth) but they still scratch, especially my long hair. I was going to switch to K9 Advantix II which also kills mosquitos which is an issue where I live during the summer. I have been touching/brushing my dogs since day one though so they will stay put long enough for me to put it on monthly as long as there is a treat involved in the end :) I am looking into your spray though Sabis mom.
It has a very pleasant odor, and lasts quite a while. I spray it on a cloth or my hands and wipe it through her coat. I have also discovered that I don't really need to coat her with it, the bugs seem deterred by the odor so just sort of a wipe does the job.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, but in exchange you have to come over and do the big boy's nails and I'll even let you use a muzzle and duct tape! :grin2:
Any dog but that one! I will trim your three youngest ones, but I get to borrow one.

Seriously, any suggestions on how to desensitize him to meds touching his skin? There must be something about the way it feels when it first hits his skin or when it moves across follicles that he can’t tolerate. He loves being brushed and will run over to me when he sees the brush, so it’s not touch. When he sees the flea med tube, he won’t stop moving. If I hide it, I can get one drop on him, then he gets wild and crazy. He has broken things to get away from flea meds, ear wash, and even antibacterial spray. He lets me apply a gel, though.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For what it's worth, we use Nexgard and have had no problems with it. No scratching or seizures or anything particularly, obviously negative.

I've heard people like to use a garlic supplement (in proper doses, it's fine for large dogs and not poisonous). The garlic will seep out into the oils in the dog's coat and skin, and the smell/taste deters ticks and fleas. Bloodsucker bugs really don't like garlic.
I’ve only found personal anecdotes about Nexgard and seizures. No official studies. I wonder if the dogs were already seizure prone? I think @Magwart has used it without any negative side effects. I will talk to the vet because I need to make a decision in the next week.

I’m hesitant to use a spray or anything that has not been used locally because our fleas are extremely bad in the summer. A friend stopped using Advantage and tried something else. I’m not sure what she tried but I think it was holistic, and within a month was overrun with fleas. She could see them bouncing off her carpet.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bravecto also treats ticks and mange. I was told after the first 30 days, you can use Advantage on dogs that have taken Bravecto, which then makes me wonder why give Bravecto? If it’s mainly for fleas and ticks, wouldn’t Advantage be a better option if a dog doesn’t mind it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the vets are up to something with these new chews... I thought I had found a good vet when we got our pups but they only seem to be in it for the money. They wouldn't even give me another month of Bravecto unless I brought the dogs back in to be weighed... the dosage is up to 50 lbs and would have been fine for another month. That is honestly why I am switching to a non-prescription option. I have used Advantage in the past on other dogs just fine as well. The Advantix benefit is for the mosquitoes and white flies which we have. Both dogs are active swimmers and are damp so they are attracted to them.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I wonder if the dogs were already seizure prone? I think @Magwart has used it without any negative side effects. I will talk to the vet because I need to make a decision in the next week.

I've used A LOT of NexGard on the rescue's dogs. These are dogs with weakened immune systems, unknown vetting history, sometimes emaciated, usually HW+, occasionally with tick diseases being treated. In other words, it's a vulnerable population that one would expect to show side effects because they're not healthy dogs in the beginning -- but we just haven't seen any problems. We've had literally no negative issues. We haven't even seen dogs vomit it up (which would be the most likely side effect, according to the data). The only real negative is cost -- it's pretty expensive compared to other options.

Recently, I tried Simparica (a newer oral flea/tick monthly pill) with my personal dogs. I have been happy with it so far. It's a good bit cheaper than NexGard, has excellent clinical results against ticks (with less drop off in effectiveness at the end of the month than NexGard). It is also eligible for the Zoetis rebate program to bring the cost down.

CAVEAT: this entire class of oral meds is to be avoided in dogs with seizure disorders. So if you have a seizure-prone dog, you should not use any brand of oral flea/tick med -- ALL of them may be contraindicated in those dogs, according to my vet. It's highly likely the people who are complaining about seizures had seizure-prone dogs -- and also quite possible that some vets aren't heeding the warning not to use these oral meds in such dogs.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
In desperation I bought this for Punk.

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/product/totally-outdoor-pet-spray/

It is amazing. I am getting eaten alive and nothing even touches her. No ants, flies, fleas, ticks. Nada. We have been camping in the bush in Northern Ontario and they don't even land on her.

Just emailed Ian at Totally Raw Dog and he said they do not ship to the USA at this time......BUT...... the mix is easy to make yourself by using high quality, cold pressed, therapeutic, Essential Oils. Their ingredients are: Neem oil, lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, sesame seed oil, castor oil, and water.

I use all of my EO mixes on myself too!

He doesn’t like sprays either. It all goes back to poor early vet handling and vet phobia. I got him past fear of the vet but not wet things. Ear wash is the worst.

If he can't stand the squirt bottles......Can you spray the repellent on a damp rag and wipe it on him?

You can keep the rag in a plastic bag to re-use and keep moist. Change the dampened rag about once a week!

Moms :)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Just emailed Ian at Totally Raw Dog and he said they do not ship to the USA at this time......BUT...... the mix is easy to make yourself by using high quality, cold pressed, therapeutic, Essential Oils. Their ingredients are: Neem oil, lemongrass oil, cinnamon oil, sesame seed oil, castor oil, and water.

I use all of my EO mixes on myself too!

If he can't stand the squirt bottles......Can you spray the repellent on a damp rag and wipe it on him?

You can keep the rag in a plastic bag to re-use and keep moist. Change the dampened rag about once a week!

Moms :)
It says right on their site that it will work on humans. It has a very faint cinnamon odor and something I am assuming is the neem since I don't recognize it.
I am fly bitten so badly I have swelling in one of my wrists that got bit a bunch and am flirting with infection in a few spots due to multiple bites and she is just fine. I saw a tick jump/fall onto her head and leave immediately. I killed it on the ground but they clearly aren't hanging around on her. The ants also gave her a wide berth.
I was thinking that I should mix some up for me.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I use the Wondercide which he objected to the spray so I use a rag or paper towel which he tolerates but still the odor is strong and he doesn't like it much.

I think with some dogs since their skin is so sensitive to their fur moving lightly, the spray or spot on drops probably cause them the creepy crawly feeling similar to a hair getting stuck inside our shirts. I do desensitize my boy by scratching/rubbing his chest while rubbing the stuff on.

@Sabis, @Momto2GSDs would you mind sharing your ratio and oils you use for a homemade neem based repellent.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Any dog but that one! I will trim your three youngest ones, but I get to borrow one.

Seriously, any suggestions on how to desensitize him to meds touching his skin? There must be something about the way it feels when it first hits his skin or when it moves across follicles that he can’t tolerate. He loves being brushed and will run over to me when he sees the brush, so it’s not touch. When he sees the flea med tube, he won’t stop moving. If I hide it, I can get one drop on him, then he gets wild and crazy. He has broken things to get away from flea meds, ear wash, and even antibacterial spray. He lets me apply a gel, though.
I find it highly curious how many people today don't teach the command "stand". I know you work a lot with your dog and I have a friend that's a dog trainer that does not teach stand. It is a command that I use all of the time. I use the command for vax, vet exams, grooming, nail trimming, flea med application, etc. I find it has tons of functional applications.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts